Herman Cain will speak at UNC today

11439_0321_cain_tf.jpg

Herman Cain

Before the 2008 presidential election, President Barack Obama visited UNC on his road to White House.

But today, some members of UNC’s College Republicans hope a new slogan will take hold: “Yes we Cain.”

Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain will speak to what organizers hope will be full house today.

Cain’s staff requested that students submit questions before the event so Cain can answer them during his speech, College Republicans Treasurer Garrett Jacobs said.

College Republicans, which is sponsoring the event with the UNC Economics Club and Young America’s Foundation, will be in the Pit today collecting questions for Cain, Jacobs said.

The event is free to the public, and no tickets are required, said Greg Steele, chairman of College Republicans.

Seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis for the 500-seat venue, Steele said.

Cain will discuss his campaign experience, his thoughts on the current race and how his business background shapes his views on the economy, Steele said.

“It will be an economic speech as well as a political speech.”

Steele said the event has garnered positive feedback. Organizers have reached out to media outlets throughout the Triangle to publicize the event.

“We have had a great response from students and from the community,” he said. “I am very confident that it will be a packed event.”

Marc Seelinger, executive vice chairman of College Republicans, said the event will be appealing to people of all backgrounds.

“Most of the Democrats I know are enthusiastic about it,” he said. “They may not agree with his politics, but they think it will be a fun event.”

Cain endorsed Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, but political science professor James Stimson said Cain likely will not have much of an effect on voters’ decisions in the May 8 Republican primary.

Endorsements usually don’t have much of an influence on the outcome of an election, he said. While Cain can provide a valuable account of his experiences running for office, his time in the political arena will be short-lived, Stimson said.

“I predict that he will be a one-hit wonder.”

Steele said College Republicans’ main goal now is to let students know where Cain will be speaking: Biomolecular 2204, near the UNC Hospitals parking decks.

But Seelinger said he doesn’t think the location will affect attendance. The group plans to organize a delegation to meet in the Pit at 3:30 p.m. to walk to the event, Jacobs said.

“A lot of people are willing to walk a little farther to hear what he has to say,” Seelinger said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.