Hit-and-run driver was tested for drug use

Police suspect the woman they say hit a female student and fled the scene likely had drugs or alcohol in her system at the time of the accident.

Rachel Armstrong, a senior psychology major, is now in fair condition at UNC Hospitals after being hit Monday afternoon while using a crosswalk in front of Davie Hall.

The vehicle was going 45 mph in a 25 mph zone, said Randy Young, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

Campus police officers found a car belonging to Lauren Fredette, 22, on Laurel Hill Road and arrested her by the Outdoor Education Center.

Officers saw Fredette running on a trail in the area, said Sgt. Josh Mecimore, spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department, which assisted in the arrest. Chapel Hill police detained her until campus police arrived and took her into custody.

“Officers were just in the area, and they saw a white female who matched the description that campus police were looking for,” he said. “They got out of the car to interact with her, and it appears there was an attempt to evade.”

When officers apprehended Fredette, she cooperated and identified herself, Young said.

According to the accident report, Fredette, who is not affiliated with the University, caused an estimated $2,500 in damages.

Fredette was charged with a felony hit-and-run, but was released in lieu of a $2,500 unsecured bond Monday.

Campus police suspected Fredette had either alcohol or drugs in her system based on the way she was acting. Officers wrote on the incident report that there was reasonable cause to test her.

“Officers indicated there was a suspicion of alcohol use or drug use,” said Young.

He said the results from the test have not come back yet.

Young said if the evidence warrants, additional charges could be filed against Fredette.

Fredette could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

After Fredette fled the scene, Young said Armstrong was still conscious as police officers and EMS arrived.

Will Arey, internal communication manager for UNC Hospitals, said Armstrong’s vital signs were stable Tuesday. He said she was conscious, but felt discomfort.

Terri Gault, manager of the psychology department, said the department has reached out to Armstrong.

“We have sent Rachel flowers and a note with well wishes,” she said. “We also contacted her parents.”

She said she hopes DPS will look into the safety of the Davie Hall crosswalk.

“I heard that crosswalk has been a problem before, so hopefully the Department of Public Safety will do something about it,” she said.

Young said the department will examine whether there is a trend of speeding in the area.

“I don’t see a high rate of speed in that crosswalk because there are many stop signs around.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.