Hampton Inn won’t affect ArtsCenter

11715_0327_artscenter_towlefilef.jpg
They have broken ground on the 300 East Main Street developement in Carrboro, N.C.

Carrboro is changing, but the ArtsCenter will stay the same.

With the construction of a Hampton Inn underway, the center will remain unaffected save for the loss of about a dozen parking spots.

Operations Director Brad Porter said the ArtsCenter will carry on as it did before the construction.

“The only way we are directly affected right now is that we lost 10 to 12 parking spots,” he said.

Because the ArtsCenter purchased their building at 300 East Main St. from Main Street Properties, the business can decide whether it wants to renovate with the businesses around it and expand or stay the same.

“There is no concrete plan. There has been talk,” Porter said. “The hotel itself is 13 to 14 months away from completion.”

The ArtsCenter, which provides various art classes for people of all ages, is the largest employer of artists in Orange County, Porter said.

“Not only do we employ artists, we basically help anyone in the community who wants to get their creative legs goings,” he said.

“I feel like we are the leading provider of art education in the community.”

The hotel construction — which broke ground on March 12 — is the first phase of a new project by Main Street Properties at 300 E. Main St. that was approved by the town in 2008, said Laura Van Sant, a spokeswoman for Main Street Properties.

Manish Atma, owner of Atma Hotel Group, said the target date for the hotel completion is April 2013. The Hampton Inn will have 142 rooms, retail and restaurant space for six to nine businesses and a 500-space parking garage.

This will be the first hotel in Carrboro and one of few moderately-priced hotels near campus, with a trajectory of rooms ranging from $99 to $139. The Franklin Hotel and the Carolina Inn — currently the closest hotels to campus — house rooms ranging from about $260 to $600 a night.

Porter said there is no reason for the community to expect changes in location and operation at the ArtsCenter.

“We’re gonna be here for a good, long time where we are located now.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.