Leimenstoll nominates student government’s top officers

When Student Body President–elect Will Leimenstoll was choosing his executive branch officers, he said he kept the legacy of Eve Carson in mind.

Leimenstoll said that while reading the eulogies for the former student body president, who was killed in 2008, he was inspired by the idea that UNC should be an “institution of excellence with a heart.”

“We shouldn’t just be an institution with academic rigor, but we should also be a university that fundamentally chooses to do the right thing,” he said.

That means prioritizing teamwork, which Leimenstoll said he demonstrated when making his picks for student government’s top positions Sunday night.

Leimenstoll announced Monday that Rachel Myrick, Nikita Shamdasani, Shrija Ghosh, Chris Scanzoni and Jason Dunn will work to fulfill his vision of excellence.

Myrick will serve as student body vice president, Shamdasani as secretary, Ghosh as treasurer, Scanzoni as chief of staff and Dunn as senior adviser.

Juniors Myrick and Ghosh and freshman Shamdasani were unanimously approved by the rules and judiciary committee of Student Congress on Monday night.

“Each of them is phenomenal, and I am so excited to be working with this team,” Leimenstoll said. “We’re going to work really well together.”

In Myrick, Leimenstoll said he found a commitment to time management and balance that was appealing.

“She balances so many things,” Leimenstoll said. “She’s so good at time management and doing such a wonderful job at everything she touches.”

Leimenstoll said another goal of his administration is to publicize existing campus resources.

“A big focus of everything this year is trying to use the resources that we already have and build on them and make them effective rather than building new projects,” he said.

Scanzoni said he is looking forward to implementing the environmental component — including community inclusivity — of Leimenstoll’s platform.

“Unfortunately, over the past years, the University community has observed troubling incidents of discrimination,” he said. “We have fresh ideas on how to create a safe and inclusive environment, such that all identities are protected and embraced.”

Scanzoni said executive board meetings will resemble a think tank, consisting of constant brain storming and self-evaluation.

Officers were named after a selection committee reviewed applications and made recommendations to Leimenstoll.

A small number of applicants prompted him to extend the deadline, which he said helped.

The selection committee received 50 total applications for all the positions, he said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.