Carolina Students for Life-sponsored speaker Greg Hasek discussed abortion from the angle of a man

Photo: Carolina Students for Life-sponsored speaker Greg Hasek discussed abortion from the angle of a man
Greg Hasek, licensed marriage and family therapist and Professor in the Graduate Counseling Program at George Fox University, speaks to UNC students Wednesday evening. Hasek gave his speech titled, "Retraining Men in the Abortion Decision: Through a Trauma Lens" which addressed the impact of abortion on men. Hasek discussed psychological symptoms, sex-addiction and relationship problems post abortion.

When a woman has an abortion, most people don’t think about how emotionally damaging it can be for the man.

During a speech Wednesday night, Greg Hasek, a marriage and family therapist and professor at George Fox University, said the root of the abortion debate is about trauma — for both men and women.

“Much of the work in the field of trauma has been focused on female survivors of trauma, except in combat stress disorders,” he said.

Leaders of Carolina Students For Life, which sponsored Hasek’s lecture, said they hoped to bring a new type of discussion to campus.

“Not to diminish in any way how abortion does affect women, but to provide another angle,” said Sarah Urdzik, the incoming president of the group. “You never hear about men who might be affected.”

Rather than focusing on the controversial issue of whether abortion is right or wrong, the lecture focused on the different perspectives that come from the situation.

“We really want to reach out to the larger UNC community, particularly people who disagree with us to have an open, honest dialogue,” said David Ortiz, director of public relations for the group.

Hasek said in American culture it is socially acceptable for men to show symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder because of war, but not because of an abortion.

“There’s an invalidation of emotional pain after trauma,” Hasek said.

But after a fetus is aborted, men can show regret, helplessness, grief, guilt or depression, he said.

Hasek said he hopes that by reframing a man’s role in abortion, there can be more understanding.

“This is about a pain issue. It happens between a man a woman. But we’re not talking about that pain,” Hasek said.

“We’re spending too much time arguing about laws.”

Austin Gilmore, president of the UNC Young Democrats, said adding the male perspective to abortion is valuable.

“I think a lot of people for obvious reasons focus on the impact on women because it’s a women’s health care procedure,” he said. “But it’s great someone is thinking about the kind of effect it has on society as a whole.”

Hasek said he hopes all campus viewpoints will come together to discuss abortion in a new way.

“I think we need to get past seeing it as a polarized, religious issue,” he said.

“It’s keeping us from seeing the pain.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.