You watch the movies. Anytime someone says the word cancer, the music swells, the eyes on the screen grow teary and there’s a big running monologue of “what if?”

And then there’s the girl in my creative writing class said last year: “I mean, cancer’s really not a big deal anymore. We’ve become so de-sensitized to it.”

Maybe that’s true.

Unless you’re a person who has lived the reality that is cancer. When I was nine, I watched my mother battle breast cancer. Then, in my junior year of high school, she was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. In the last five years, it’s come back three times.

Last year, a tumor perforated her bowel, and we spent Thanksgiving huddled around her hospital bed in the ICU, watching a football game on one of those tiny TVs. Mom looked right at Dad and said, “Worst holiday ever.”

I’m not telling this story for pity’s sake. I’m telling it because it’s a true and remarkable fact.

Ten years ago my mother would’ve lost her battle with cancer, and at tonight’s luminary ceremony, I’d be writing her name on a sticker that said “In Memory.”

But because of the advances made in cancer research — in part through donations raised at events like UNC Relay — I get to put “In Honor of Christine Hartley” on one of those white paper bags.

When I was 12, I watched Mom cross the finish line at the 3-day Avon walk for breast cancer. She told my sister and me that she walked it for us. Tonight, I’ll walk in her honor, and at some point make that cheesy phone call home to tell her I’m proud of her.

Some people who walk that track with me this weekend won’t be so blessed. Cancer has left a permanent void in their lives. But I’ve found in my own experience that Relay for Life offers a moment of healing, a moment of comfort — if only for a little while.

To my fellow Relay participants, I say thank you for helping my mother in her fight. And for those of you who won’t be at the track tonight, it’s not too late to contribute to the cause. Go to uncrelay.org and make a donation.

If you have a chance, I encourage you to stop by the Belk track just after dark to watch as we light our luminaries. I promise it will be a ceremony you won’t forget.

Tonight, we walk in honor. Tonight, we walk in memory. We walk against cancer. And we walk for life.

Taylor Hartley is a junior English major from Cumming, Ga. Contact her at tmhartle@live.unc.edu