Students rushing from Carrboro to campus this month for study groups and finals might have to slow down as a resurfacing project on Greensboro Street creates traffic delays.

Workers are scheduled to begin resurfacing the street today, and though much of the construction will happen at night, daytime work could cause backups.

The project includes asphalt milling, surface treatment and pavement markings and will be finished by June 1 at the latest, according to the N.C. Department of Transportation.

Arnold Baldwin, an assistant engineer for the state transportation department, said community members have complained about the road’s condition.

“We check the roads on a yearly basis, and some old pavement is cracking on Greensboro Street,” Baldwin said. “Our utmost priority is a better driving surface.”

Work on the section of North Greensboro Street between East Poplar Avenue and Carr Street will occur between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday through Friday.

Carrboro Street Superintendent David Poythress said he hopes the night hours will diminish some of the impact construction will have on daily life.

But from 9 a.m. to sunset, workers will be on the rest of Greensboro Street between Lorraine Street and Rand Road.

“There will surely be significant traffic delays, even in streets that are adjacent to Greensboro Street,” Poythress said.

He said despite short-term inconveniences, there will be many benefits of the project.

“We will have a smoother roadway without potholes, and new markings that enhance accessibility for bikers and pedestrians,” he said.

Businesses located on or near Greensboro Street say they are not too worried about construction adversely affecting business.

Elizabeth Meunier, co-owner of Open Eye Cafe on South Greensboro Street, said she does not think business will decrease as a result of construction.

“We have two entrances and a big lot on North Roberson, so we should be fine,” Meunier said.

Cassady Rosini, assistant manager of Elmo’s Diner, also said having two entrances would help ease traffic and accessibility.

“But there might be congestion in the front of our parking lot, and it will probably be a pain to get here in the morning,” he said.

Jane Stein, business manager of CHICLE Language Institute, based in the same building as Weaver Street Market, said she expects delays to be less than five minutes.

But Nandini Dhullipalla, a UNC senior who lives at Brewer Lane Apartments in Carrboro, said she will be inconvenienced by the impending construction.

“I have definitely not noticed a need for repair on North Greensboro Street,” she said. “A lot of major stores are located in that area, like Harris Teeter, and it will be such a pain to get around.”

Helene Kirschke-Schwartz, a UNC junior who lives in Carrboro, said she normally catches the bus on Greensboro Street to campus.

“Greensboro is kind of the main street that connects all the streets in Carrboro, so this is not very convenient,” she said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.