Julian’s unveils mosaic design for new entrance at 70th anniversary celebration

11755_0402_julians_allderf.jpg
Julian's celebrated its 70th anniversary Saturday at noon. Family and friends gathered, and a mosaic was revealed that will be completed by graduation on the ground outside the entrance of Julian's. I have the contact information for Alexander Julian if you guys want all the names of all the family members. -the Julian family

Julian’s has brought its characteristic fashions to Chapel Hill for 70 years, and now its owners plan to extend their passion for color and style onto Franklin Street.

The Julian family unveiled the mosaic design for a new entrance, expected to be completed by May graduation, while observing the store’s 70th anniversary at an event on Saturday.

“When you’re in a small family business, you’re always in a family,” said Missy Julian-Fox, organizer of the event.

Julian-Fox’s father, Maurice Julian, founded the store in 1942 with his wife, Mary. The store sold Ivy-league inspired pieces, many of which Maurice Julian designed.

In 1993, Julian-Fox took over the store, and in 2007, her brother, fashion designer Alexander Julian, began leading the family business.

Throughout its history, the store has prized its relationship to the University. At the event, Alexander Julian and Julian-Fox unveiled the design of a mosaic entrance to the store that will celebrate the UNC connection.

“It’s my strongest piece — the most unique,” Davis said. “It was the most challenging design I’ve ever attempted.”

Alexander Julian said he was inspired to commission the piece after seeing Davis’s work on the mosaic entrance to Sugarland, Julian’s former location.

At Saturday’s event, about 40 attendees shared stories and memories of Julian’s.

“Football Saturdays are magical,” said Julian-Fox. “Shopping here is a Carolina tradition as much as going to the games.”

Julian-Fox laid out vintage office tools once used in the store and black-and-white photos of employees and customers.

“I used to clock in on that machine,” said former employee John Dinan, pointing at a time clock.

Dinan said he wandered into the store as a freshman at UNC in 1974 and was hired on the spot.

“Mr. (Maurice) Julian had an incredible instinct about people,” he said.

The shop owner could tell what a patron would purchase the moment the person entered the store, Dinan said.

“Mr. Julian never forgot anyone’s name,” he said. “I got my business degree here (at UNC) but I learned more about that working in this store.”

David Lee Hill, an oral surgeon in Chapel Hill, said he has been a Julian’s customer since 2004 and attended the event.

“It’s much more than buying clothes,” he said. “I like being around passionate people.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.