‘Late Night with Jimmy Fallon’ tickets distributed to seniors

UNC seniors were lined up since 5:00AM to get tickets to see Late Night With Jimmy Fallon which will be taped Tuesday afternoon and air later that night.

The short-lived ticket distribution for Tuesday’s taping of NBC’s “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” with President Barack Obama and Dave Matthews Band does not guarantee even seniors a spot in Memorial Hall.

Seniors were given priority to register for tickets through an email to the 2012 senior listserv on Friday, but confirmation tickets were overbooked to assure a full audience.

A confirmation from “Late Night” says that all tapings are overbooked and no reservation guarantees admission. The show — which is regularly taped at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York City — usually requires a month’s advance for reservations.

Obama will also be speaking in Carmichael Arena — which holds about 8,000 — on Tuesday. Seniors can only attend one of the two events.

The taping will take place in Memorial Hall, which can regularly seat 1,434 audience members.

Though the website for tickets was sent only to UNC seniors, it was open to the public. Some juniors received confirmation emails Sunday, though none would comment in fear of losing their tickets. No invitation to sign up for tickets was send to graduate students or underclassmen.

Senior Sierra Piland, who received a confirmation email, said she feels for the non-seniors.

“I can understand how younger students may feel,” she said in an email. “It’s an event that won’t happen twice for anyone regardless of what year you are.”

Laura Hayes Morgan, director of university events, said in an email that the taping is a special opportunity for seniors leaving campus after graduation.

Damon Neanover, a senior who received a confirmation email Sunday, said it was nice of the University to share the event with seniors first.

“Being the last week of school, we’ve got a lot going on,” he said. “It’s a nice breather.”

Neanover said the taping will be most exciting because it’s at UNC.

“I’m excited to see how the show and the guests adapt into the Carolina atmosphere,” he said.

Seats for the taping in Memorial Hall will be assigned, the Office of University Events tweeted Sunday.

According to the confirmation email, students have to bring their confirmation email and OneCard to the Memorial Hall box office between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. today to receive a wristband for admittance on Tuesday.

Caitlin Goforth, a senior and president of the Carolina Athletic Association, received a confirmation email Sunday morning.

She said she plans to line up at 7 a.m. today to pick up her wristband, and at 7 a.m. Tuesday to get her assigned seat.

Doors for the taping will close at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, and the taping will end at about 3:30 p.m., according to the confirmation email. There will be a standby line for non-ticket holders, though it does not guarantee entry.

“Late Night” usually tapes at 5:30 p.m. on weekdays and airs at 12:35 a.m. the same night.

Goforth said she made sure she could attend the show Tuesday by moving one of her final exams to Thursday.

“It’s like our NCAA tournament consolation prize,” she said.

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.