Late Night with Jimmy Fallon to tape at UNC with guests President Obama, Dave Matthews

Tickets to the Memorial Hall taping have all been distributed

11987_0423_obama6_gerdonf.jpg
The UNC women's lacrosse team beat Virgina 14-6 in the ACC semi-final match on April 21, 2012 at Duke University.

Late night television’s freshest face is coming to UNC with the nation’s most coveted guest.

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC’s “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” and former “Saturday Night Live” player, will tape his interview with President Barack Obama at Memorial Hall on Tuesday.

NBC’s entertainment publicity spokeswoman Amber James said in an email that the show has been in talks with the Obama team since Fallon taped a fitness segment at the White House.

“This was the perfect opportunity,” she said.

The taping will be in Memorial Hall, which can seat up to 1,434 audience members.

But tickets to the taping have all been distributed, according to an email from Office of University Events.

Graduating seniors were given priority for tickets to both “Late Night” and the president’s speech in Carmichael Auditorium focusing on student interest rates earlier in the day on Tuesday. Seniors can only register for one or the other event. Tickets to the speech are still available.

This is Obama’s first appearance on “Late Night.” He became the first sitting president to appear on a late night talk show when he appeared on NBC’s “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno in 2009. He has also appeared on CBS’s “Late Show with David Letterman,” as well as “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” “The Colbert Report,” and “Saturday Night Live.” Both “Saturday Night Live” and “Late Night” are produced by Lorne Michaels at NBC.

The taping will come after the president’s speech in Carmichael Auditorium which will focus on student interest rates. Obama will also travel to the University of Colorado at Boulder and the University of Iowa to discuss student interest rates, according to a White House press release.

Fallon announced the segment on his Twitter page Friday.

“So excited for this Tuesday! UNC, I’m coming with President@barackobama theroots & davematthewsbnd. #ObamaOnFallon,” he tweeted.

Fallon also tweeted a short video Saturday about the segment as he left Rome, Italy.

Fallon has hosted “Late Night” — which airs at 12:35 a.m. every weekday — since March 2, 2009. He took over the show after host Conan O’Brien moved to the earlier “Tonight Show” slot. O’Brien now hosts “Conan” on TBS.

The show usually tapes at 5:30 p.m. and airs later the same night, but it has not been announced if the taping at UNC will begin at the same time.

Dave Matthews Band along with “Late Night’s” house band The Roots will also be performing at the taping, which comes the day before UNC’s last day of classes.