Shortstop Ally Blake hits walk-off home run, seals softball team’s series sweep

11929_0416_softball_sherlongf.jpg

In this weekend’s series finale, which marked a celebration of shortstop Ally Blake’s four-year career, the senior came through with a 10th inning walk-off home run to give the No. 24 North Carolina softball team the sweep against N.C. State — its second consecutive ACC series sweep.

Having outscored the Wolfpack 13-0 in Saturday’s doubleheader, the Tar Heels had high hopes to similarly perform in Sunday’s “Ally Blake Day” game. Each of this year’s three seniors will be recognized at different home ACC series.

However, N.C. State came to play with a chip on its shoulder, recording six hits on UNC starting pitcher Lori Spingola and taking the game into 10 innings.

Fortunately for UNC, in the bottom of the 10th, Blake confidently approached the plate despite struggling with her bat and committing a costly error in the top of the fifth that tied the game at 2-2. Nevertheless, with one out and the game on the line, she blasted a solo walk-off homer to center field, giving UNC the 3-2 win and 3-0 series sweep.

“Before my at-bat, coach told me to relax, that I was a great ball player and that in that situation she wanted me up there,” Blake said. “And even though I had made some mistakes in the game, it felt good to have her behind me.”

Sporting navy blue jerseys with a teal print of a heel, UNC used strong hitting and conscious defense to pick up two shutout victories, jumping out to a 2-0 series lead. UNC also held its fourth annual Strike Out Cancer Event on Saturday, honoring former player and cancer survivor Jamie Mayberry.

With the help of senior left fielder Kelli Wheeler, who singled to left field on N.C. State’s first pitch of game one, UNC quickly set the tone by going up 6-0 in the bottom of the first inning.

N.C. State showed no signs of life in the following innings, during which Spingola surrendered only one hit and tallied seven strikeouts. And led by the hitting of Haleigh Dickey, who crushed a solo shot to right center, and Kelsey Green, whose sacrifice fly brought in another run, the game was called at 8-0 after only five innings of play.

“Lori has been commanding on the mound,” Papa said. “And when you have good pitching, are hitting well and don’t let the other team score, that’s huge.”

Behind sophomore starting pitcher Ashley Bone, the UNC defense rallied from an early bases-loaded scare to shutout N.C. State 5-0 in game two of the doubleheader. This game marked back-to-back shutouts for Bone, improving her record to 5-1 on the season.

Although UNC picked up its eighth straight victory, Sunday’s game was a bittersweet for Papa, as the time her three seniors have left in a UNC uniform is quickly running out.

“Ally has been a great leader for us this year. Her, Kelli Wheeler and Kelsey Green have really led this team both on the field with their work ethic and how they act off the field,” she said. “It’s very hard to think about next year and losing them, but right now I want to focus on what they can keep on doing for us as we march on to our goal of winning an ACC Championship.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.