North Carolina women's lacrosse tops No. 5 Maryland to take the regular-season ACC title

Midway through the second half of No. 2 North Carolina’s 14-11 victory against No. 5 Maryland, Beth Glaros scored the Terrapins’ fourth unanswered goal. Maryland was on a 5-1 run, controlling every draw and scoring quick goal after quick goal.

On senior day, the experience and composure of UNC’s seniors turned out to be exactly what the Tar Heels needed to restore order.

UNC managed to hold off a Maryland comeback and complete a perfect 5-0 season in the ACC, a feat North Carolina has never before accomplished.

“I thanked everybody immediately, and I said this was the best present probably as a senior, the last regular season game I’ll play out here,” Laura Zimmerman said.

“But as far as coming into the game, you’re focused on the game first and then looking to celebrate for the seniors after, so I’m really proud of everyone for staying focused.”

Kara Cannizzaro finished with a career-high five goals. Abbey Friend added another four, while Zimmerman scored a pair and assisted on another two.

In the first half, the Tar Heels jumped on the Terrapins early and kept their foot on the gas. Cannizzaro’s early hat trick gave UNC a 3-0 lead before Maryland’s defense managed to corral the Tar Heel attackers for long enough to allow its own offense to get going.

Terrapins Katie Schwarzmann and Karri Ellen Johnson scored a pair to draw within one, but Zimmerman and Brittney Coppa answered with goals of their own. At halftime, UNC’s goal cushion was five.

But in the second half, the Tar Heels didn’t look as strong. Maryland dominated the draws and managed to cut the deficit to two at 11-9.

UNC coach Jenny Levy said physicality, perceived or actual, played a starring role in that swing in momentum. Early in the game, Zimmerman hit the ground twice, both times after colliding with a Maryland player.

“We’re a physical team and we don’t want to be pushed around,” Zimmerman said. “And there were a couple times when we did get hit. I think our defense, when they see our attackers get hit a couple times, they want to stand up for our attackers.”

But Levy said UNC’s victory was a story of two halves for the officials as much as it was for the players. Blatant no-calls in the first half gave way to ticky-tack whistles against the Tar Heels in the second, she said.

“Down the last stretch of the game, there were fouls being called on the draw, and there are 20 kids in on the draw,” Levy said. “You’re telling me that you can see what’s going on in there to call something? … In that situation, unless it’s so flagrant that someone comes in and pushes or hacks someone’s head off, you can’t call it.”

Reserve goalkeeper Taylor Thomas provided two deflating saves that helped stave off Maryland late in the game. The Tar Heel offense was able to complement that renewed defensive vigor with three more goals.

“We took a timeout and said, ‘Look. We had success early in this game because we attacked them on the offensive end,’” Levy said. “‘Don’t go away from that. Keep attacking them. That’s what’s creating offense for us.’ I thought we did a good job of that, and my seniors and my upperclassmen did a good job of that.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.