Carrboro ArtsCenter will host Triangle Narrative Film Series

North Carolina filmmakers will soon get the chance to showcase their short films at the Carrboro ArtsCenter as part of the new Triangle Narrative Film Series.

The film series will take place at 4 p.m. on the second Sunday of every month, beginning in September, at the Carrboro ArtsCenter. Each program will consist of 60 to 90 minutes of short films.

The idea for the film series came from ArtsCenter Stage Director Jeri Lynn Schulke, Marketing Director Adam Graetz and Jim McQuaid, the founder of Turnip Films and Turnip Video.

“We decided to just jump in and create a place where local film would be consistently visible,” McQuaid said.

Graetz said the goal is to create a diverse group of short films to be shown each month.

“Initially, we’re biased towards 20 minutes or less because that will allow us to put more variety in the program,” McQuaid said.

Schulke said filmmakers are strongly encouraged to be in attendance when their film is shown.

“Part of it is to have a dialogue with people about this piece of film work that they saw,” Schulke said.

Schulke hopes the film series will make the ArtsCenter a home for local filmmakers since there is not a venue where these types of films can be shown on a regular basis.

Local reviewers will also be invited to preview the event in order to give the filmmakers more exposure.

“The goal is to generate long-term, consistent exposure where there hasn’t been any,” McQuaid said.

McQuaid said that the film series will not take place in November because the Carrboro Film Festival is scheduled during that month.

Because there are already multiple outlets for documentaries, such as the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University, none will be shown as part of the film series. Otherwise, there are few restrictions as to what will be accepted for viewing.

Graetz said submissions do not have to be a completed work. Any North Carolina resident or any student at a North Carolina school who has a DVD of their work can submit a film to be viewed as part of the series to filmsubmissions@artscenterlive.org. There is no entry fee.

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.