Davis Library renovation is almost done

12469_0628_davisrenovationsf.jpg

Senior Alexandra Henshaw, junior Ana Balta and junior Alexandria Dibble (left to right) study at newly renovated davis library tables.

The renovation of Davis Library is nearly complete, and officials say the improvement will enhance students’ studying experience.

The project, a collaboration between UNC Libraries and Information Technology Services, began in late May.

ITS contributed $70,000 to the project, said Jeremiah Joyner, manager of ITS labs and systems.

The department spent an additional $120,000 on two renovation projects in the Undergraduate Library and Health Sciences Library in the 2011-12 academic year.

To recoup the funding, ITS will no longer have students monitor the labs full time.

“We will no longer have to commit funding to provide those types of positions for people to monitor the labs,” Joyner said.

Steve Haring, executive director for ITS finance and administration, said the decision was strictly financial and was approved by Larry Conrad, the vice chancellor for information technology.

Conrad was not in the office Tuesday and was unavailable for comment.

“This was not something we did haphazardly,” Haring said.

Two students per semester will still be hired to work with CCI printing, which is managed by ITS.

Davis Library’s third floor ITS lab will be closed and converted into a study space for budgetary reasons.

The library will move 20 ITS computers formerly in the third floor lab to the first and second floors. ITS will move printing stations from the lab and two additional stations to the first and second floors.

“We’re not reducing printing in the building, just relocating it,” Joyner said.

“We’re still waiting for the computers to be moved down so it’s not completely finished yet,” he said.

ITS also helped pay for some of the new furniture, including two new trampoline chairs located on the second floor of the library.

UNC Libraries paid $40,000 to fund renovation of the second floor.

Judy Panitch, director of library communications, said the changes will be finished in the next few weeks, before the start of fall semester.

She said students have given positive feedback.

“We’ve been really surprised because we thought it would be disruptive,” Panitch said.

During the renovation, the library has consolidated its book collection, added seating, increased the number of outlets and installed new computing tables and large display screens that can be used with laptops.

Joyner said the new power outlets will be beneficial for accommodating more students.

“A lot of students have been really happy with the changes so far,” Joyner said.

Panitch said the Odum Institute will also move to Davis Library this fall from its current location in Manning Hall. She said the move is not part of the current renovation project.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.