Carolina Fever membership now free for all students

The chance to prove one’s school spirit will now come free of charge to all students.

Carolina Fever co-chairmen Jack Frost and David Wood have decided to remove the $20 yearly membership fee so that all students can join by registering their PID.

The group, which Frost said has been around since the early 1980s, awards points to students for attending certain sporting events, eventually leading to prizes. Its most sought-after prize is men’s basketball tickets.

Frost and Wood have been working on changes to the organization with members of the UNC marketing and ticketing offices since April.

Changes have also been made to the basketball ticket distribution process. Each student who wins the organization’s lottery will now receive two basketball tickets, instead of one. The 150 people with the most points will each receive two phase one tickets.

But not all members agree with the change.

“I feel like now that it’s going to include everybody, it might lose some of that passion,” said junior Blake Lessard.

Since the group has historically relied on membership fees for revenue, it will now be selling $10 T-shirts each semester.

“I think we found that if there’s a sick T-shirt, kids will buy it,” Frost said.

Members will also benefit from a new prize system and earn points toward each prize level as they attend games.

Frost said the various prizes would include T-shirts, Gatorade water bottles and gift cards to local restaurants at the initial levels.

Frost said the grand prize is a signed ball by the coach of the winner’s choice.

“If you get to the top level of prize, it’s not going to just be for one kid. It’s going to be for everyone who gets to ‘X’ number of points,” he said.

But despite the many changes, Frost said the mission remains the same.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.