Cupcake sales support LGBT Center

Sugarland Bakery cupcakes help customers satisfy their sweet tooth — and now those with a charitable streak might also be satisfied.

Sugarland is donating a percentage of its August cupcake sales on Wednesday nights to the LGBT Center of Raleigh.

For every $3.25 cupcake sold on Wednesdays at the Raleigh location in Cameron Village, 75 cents is donated to the center .

Sugarland’s Chapel Hill location at 140 E. Franklin St. will join the fundraising efforts in October, when cupcake sales will benefit the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

As of Wednesday at 3 p.m., Katrina Ryan, owner of the bakery, said the Raleigh location had sold 525 cupcakes to raise $450 for the organization, which provides support and resources for lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual people in the Triangle area.

“Sugarland has always been supported a lot by the gay and lesbian community,” Ryan said.

“The first logical gift for us … was (to them). They were super enthusiastic.”

Sugarland’s marketing coordinator Hannah Walker said the LGBT Center was also chosen because of its quick response.

“They were the first ones to jump up and say, ‘OK, lets just do this right now,’” she said.

The Franklin Street location also supports the NC Pride parade, Ryan said.

Sugarland customers who volunteer at least 10 hours with the LGBT center in August will receive a voucher for the price of a dozen cupcakes — but it can be used on anything in the bakery including martinis and gelato.

The Raleigh location opened in April, and Ryan said the store has already started outselling the Chapel Hill location.

“We are much busier in the store in Raleigh,” she said.

Chapel Hill resident and Sugarland patron Briton Bieze said she thinks the volunteering incentive is a good idea.

“I think I would be interested,” she said.

Bieze said she would like to see the Chapel Hill location support local food banks and Heifer International.

Walker said Sugarland’s September cause will be the United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County Inc.

Ryan said she is excited about the new program, and has already begun planning new ideas for the October fundraiser.

“We’ve gotten a really warm reception,” Ryan said.

“It was a great way to introduce ourselves to the Raleigh community.”

Ryan said the Chapel Hill location has to complete its calendar of charitable commitments — including cupcake donations — before joining the new charity initiative.

“Our donation calendar fills up kind of quickly sometimes,” Walker said. “This program allows us to partner with an organization and we can give them a significant donation.”

Contact the desk editor at

city@dailytarheel.com.