Bingham Facility wastewater plan sparks concern among Collins Creek community

13078_0830_bingham_nivif.jpg
The Bingham Facilities, located in rural Orange County, is a research facility that hopes to understand diseases such as muscular dystrophy and hemophilia. However, the waste management plans have affected those families that live around this facility. The wells and floodplains around the facility, which are integral to the waste management plans, have been over-used. Surveyor tags placed on Cliff Leath's land during the surveying process of the facility. "I am not opposed to the research being conducted at the facilities-- but I am concerned about how their [The University] management of these facilities affects the animals there and the community around it." "It is not just their university, it is part of their community-- so it matters if they waste money or hurt the environment around us." Source: Cliff Leath-- CALL HIM AND ASK FOR PICTURES..HE SAID NO TO ME BUT ASK ANYWAYS!

Cliff Leath is tired of getting dumped on.

Leath, whose farm is adjacent to a UNC research facility with a poor track record of environmental safety, is worried his home will once again fall victim to hazardous waste if the University’s plan to expand the facility’s wastewater treatment system moves forward.

The Bingham Facility — located in a rural area of western Orange County — is an animal research center owned and operated by UNC. The facility currently houses 120 hemophilic and dystrophic dogs.

At an Aug. 22 meeting, more than 100 residents and University officials came out to discuss the $900,000 project, which would allow the facility to treat its wastewater on site.

“We’re committed to getting it right this time,” said Bob Lowman, associate vice chancellor for research.

But the non-profit organization Preserve Rural Orange, together with support from neighbors like Leath, is now demanding a survey of the project’s environmental impact before it begins.

“They’ve messed up before, and they refuse to be clear and transparent with us,” Leath said.

Contentious history

Though Bingham Facility was built in the 1970s, it did not come into the public eye until 2009.

A treated wastewater leak was discovered in a 1.6 million-gallon storage lagoon by the University and reported to the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources in December 2009.

Following the discovery and several other violations stemming from treated wastewater leaks, the University was fined $16,612.48 in 2010 by the department.

The treated wastewater had leaked into Collins Creek, which feeds into Jordan Lake — a major water source for the state.

Learning from mistakes

UNC officials hope to install a functioning wastewater treatment system at the facility.

Lowman said the facility’s new system would spray 1.2 million gallons of treated wastewater per year on its rural land.

He said the project would also double the acreage currently permitted for spraying treated research waste from 2.14 acres to 5 acres.

University spokeswoman Susan Hudson said people often forget that the facility’s wastewater has been treated.

The wastewater is currently pumped and hauled to the Orange Water and Sewer Authority treatment plant daily.

Lowman said the pump-and-haul approach is not a permanent solution, and transporting the wastewater is expensive and smelly.

“I understand why the neighbors are mistrustful, but in order for us to be able to use this facility in the long-term, we need the new system,” Lowman said.

“We’ve obviously made some mistakes, and we’re very sorry, but we’ve learned from them.”

‘I don’t trust them’

Laura Streitfeld, executive director of Preserve Rural Orange, said she and the facility’s neighbors would like to see an environmental impact statement about the project.

“The statement would look at the impact of future plans and all alternatives to this project,” Streitfeld said. “We’re concerned about multiple impacts on the water and the wetlands.”

Leath said UNC officials have a habit of asking for forgiveness — not permission.

“It seems to me that the standard is to not do anything until the publicity gets so adverse that you have to,” he said.

And Rich Tapper, who lives 2 miles from the facility, said he was disturbed by the University’s secretive nature about the facility operations.

“I don’t trust them to do their own research anymore — I want an independent study,” he said.

“I have no problem with people doing things in their best interest as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone around them.”

The public comment period, in which community members can voice any concerns they have about the facility, lasts until Sept. 4.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.