Main Street partially closed as water and sewer lines to 300 E. Main

Carrboro drivers might face traffic congestion on East Main Street this weekend as a redevelopment project five years in the making moves forward.

East Main Street will be condensed to one lane between the intersections of West Rosemary Street and Lloyd Street on Saturday and Sunday because of construction work.

During the lane closure, water and sewer lines will be extended to 300 E. Main — a $20 million mixed-use redevelopment project that developers broke ground on in March.

A 142-room Hampton Inn & Suites will be the newest addition to the site — and the first hotel in Carrboro.

The water and sewer line extensions are necessary because the existing lines will not meet the needs of the hotel, said Laura Van Sant, spokeswoman for the developer, Main Street Properties of Chapel Hill, LLC.

“On the site before, they had very small sewer lines,” she said. “Basically, we just need bigger taps than we had.”

The 300 E. Main site houses many shops and restaurants — including the Carrboro performance landmark The ArtsCenter and the music venue Cat’s Cradle.

Van Sant said the company chose to do the work on Saturday and Sunday to minimize traffic disruption.

She said there is generally less traffic in Carrboro on weekends, especially when there is not a home football game at UNC.

During the closure, traffic will be controlled by a flagman and police officers.

Motorists should also pay attention to signage for directions, according to a statement from 300 E. Main.

Pedestrians will be able to access the route along the north side of the street.

The first phase of construction, which includes the hotel and the parking garage, began in March after five years of planning.

The project is expected to wrap up in late April or early May.

Van Sant said despite some obstacles, construction is on schedule.

“The rain has slowed down some things, and some of the hot weather has made it difficult for the concrete to set,” she said.

“All of those problems are behind us now.”

Carrboro resident Errol McCauley — who lives directly across from the property at 309 E. Main St. — said she’s excited to see the project completed.

“I think it’s going to be a good thing for the town,” McCauley said.

Linda Carver, who lives two blocks from the development at 202 Lloyd St., agreed.

“I think it’s going to be nice once it’s finished,” she said.

The development will be expanded in the next several years to include more retail space, restaurants and Class A office space.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.