J. Cole is bringing “Cole World” to UNC for the 2012 Homecoming Concert.

This year’s concert comes with a bigger name — and a higher price tag — than previous years.

To see rapper J. Cole perform in Carmichael Arena on Nov. 4, students must pay $15 for upper-level seats and $20 for the lower level.

Ticket prices have increased from last year’s $10 to see indie band The New Pornographers.

“The increased ticket price came from the much, much higher cost of the concert this year,” said Tom Low, president of the Carolina Union Activities Board. The J. Cole contract cost CUAB and the Carolina Athletic Association $105,000, compared to $40,000 for The New Pornographers last year.

Tickets for the J. Cole concert went on sale Tuesday at noon.
Students in line for tickets did not have many complaints about the increased price.

“Paying $15 or $20 to see J. Cole is definitely worth it”, said senior Ghezal Rashid.

Low said the price of tickets corresponds to the artist’s name recognition.

“The prices are fair based on the artist we have contracted,” he said.

CUAB and the CAA are in charge of organizing UNC’s Homecoming. They decided to spring for J. Cole after last year’s choice of The New Pornographers sold only 700 tickets of the 4,500 they said were available.

“We felt that we owed the student body a better act,” said Chris Keyes, CAA’s homecoming chair.

Low said that of the 4,700 tickets available this year, about 2,000 tickets were sold Tuesday.

Lauren Sacks, CUAB’s adviser and the assistant director for student learning and activities, said the organization hopes to serve as much of the student body as possible.

“I think it’s pretty safe to say that tickets will sell out,” she said.

Not all students who waited in line for tickets Tuesday received them. CUAB distributed wristbands, which the Student Union box office will honor today.

Many students expressed frustration about the design of the ticket line Tuesday.

Sophomore Anhthu Vuong stood in line from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to get her ticket.

Voung said she wouldn’t have waited so long if she had known how the line would be organized ahead of time.

Junior Chandler Rowland said that while the line was long, it was worth it.

“I especially like J. Cole because he’s from North Carolina and he mentions UNC in, like, all of his songs.”

Contact the desk editor at
arts@dailytarheel.com.