Q&A with Jane Borden

13874_jane_borden_highresf.jpg

UNC alumna Jane Borden will perform today at Dirty South Comedy Theater along with the group Corporate Juggernaut.

Today, UNC alumna Jane Borden and Tennessee comedy group Corporate Juggernaut will be performing at Dirty South Comedy Theater in Carrboro.

Borden returned to Chapel Hill last March during the tour for her first book “I Totally Meant To Do That.”

Staff writer Mary Feddeman spoke with Borden about her comedy career and coming back to Chapel Hill.

DAILY TAR HEEL: What made you choose to stop in Carrboro and perform at DSI?

JANE BORDEN: It’s just such a great theater. I try to play there whenever I’m in town. I think it’s really exciting what they’ve built. I went to Carolina, and there certainly wasn’t a comedy scene when I was there, so I think that’s really cool.

Plus, you know, we can go to Carrburritos, so that’s good.

DTH: What should the audience expect from the show?

JB: It’s probably going to be very silly. I think our comedy is all in good fun. We don’t really make fun of people — we don’t pick on the audience. It’s not like racist or angry comedy … and I tend to do a lot of storytelling.

DTH: Do you notice any major differences between audiences in New York and audiences in the South?

JB: The thing about New York is that the scene is so big. There’s so many places to see comedy, there’s so many places to do comedy, and there are so many comics that people have kind of seen it all. People are in competition with each other.

In Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Nashville, it’s just more supportive.

It’s been really fun playing for those audiences, particularly because I’m newer to stand-up. It’s nice to have a little bit more support.

And the audiences in Chapel Hill have always been great. I just feel like Chapel Hill and Carrboro are such incredible places that don’t exist anywhere else.

DTH: Being a UNC alumna, what’s it like coming back to perform so close to UNC? Does it feel natural or totally different from when you went here?

JB: It’s interesting to build a new relationship with the city because my husband did his Ph.D. work there. That’s how we met, actually. I was down visiting my sister, and I met him in a coffee shop. And so the whole time we were dating, when he was in town, I guess I got over that — you know, the first few times I was there, I was like, “This is where I did such-and-such, and here’s where I ate fried chicken!”

And then slowly, over time, I kind of developed a new relationship with Chapel Hill. Now when I’m there, I think about college less than I think about the time when Nathan and I were dating.

DTH: Anything else you want people to know about Tuesday’s show?

JB: Free puppies —the earlier you get there, the more you get.

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.