Hunter Rawlings: ‘All is pretty well here’

13954_0927_hunterrollings_goberdhanviglef.jpg
Hunter Rawlings, President of the Association of American Universities speaks to students and faculty about the role of research universities.

Despite a seemingly endless series of scandals and leadership transitions, UNC is lucky.

This was the message of Hunter Rawlings, president of the Association of American Universities, when he spoke to the UNC Board of Trustees Thursday.

“From everything that I’ve seen, Chapel Hill, despite setbacks, has suffered less … than almost any other flagship in American public education,” he said to a full crowd in Gerrard Hall.

Rawlings was recruited by Chancellor Holden Thorp to conduct a review of UNC’s balance of athletics and academics after former Gov. Jim Martin completes his ongoing independent review of academics.

In his speech, Rawlings said all American public universities are facing hard times, and UNC is doing well in comparison to its peers.

He said one major problem is the unprecedented turnover rate of public university presidents.

In the past 18 months, 13 presidents of the 35 public universities in the Association of American Universities have left their positions — most of them prematurely, he said.

Rawlings identified several reasons for this instability, including mishandling of athletics, state budget cuts and university corporatization.

“Some of these businesses that we are running at our universities create clear conflicts of interest with the academic programs,” he said.

“We’ve got to stay fixated on quality undergraduate education.”

Rawlings proposed several tactics for confronting the University’s problems.

“It’s going to take a concerted effort,” he said. “I cannot overemphasize the importance of transparency.”

He also stressed the importance of university boards supporting presidents.

He said the loyalty of UNC’s Board of Trustees is just one of many reasons for optimism.

“In spite of everything I’ve just said, all is pretty well here,” he said, adding that the University is doing well in respect to its peers.

“You’re lucky,” he said.

UNC sophomore Luis Segovia said it’s a privilege to attend a public university that is both affordable and high quality.

“There are private universities that charge more in tuition that are not up to par with UNC,” he said.

Thorp said UNC is successful because it stays focused on the value of a liberal arts education.

“These subjects address the essence of the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill,” he said.

“It has always been part of our heritage to innovate and lead.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.