UNC alumna returns as lobbyist to state legislature

13603_0911_jennifer_willis_perryf.jpg
Jennifer Willis, pictured outside of the NC Legislative Building, following the Joint Legislative Education Oversight Committee Draft Agenda Meeting.

When January rolls around, new state legislators will be learning the ropes and inner workings of the N.C. General Assembly.

But that won’t be the only lesson they’ll receive — Jennifer Willis will be making sure that they are also learning how to best serve university students.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for us in higher education to demonstrate the value we have for the state,” she said about the upcoming election. “It’s an opportunity for us to educate the new members coming in.”

Willis became the director of state relations for UNC-CH on Aug. 1. Previously, she worked for about three years as the director of government relations for the N.C. Community College System.

“We actually sought her out. She had quite a reputation,” said Scott Ralls, president of the N.C. Community College System. “She had a great deal of respect and experience in the General Assembly.”

Richard Stevens, a Republican from Wake County, was a senator for five terms, until he resigned Sept. 7. During his tenure, he focused on higher education matters and worked with Willis.

“She’s just an outstanding individual,” he said. “She was just outstanding in her advocacy for the community college system, as I know she will be with the UNC system.”

Ralls said Willis was valuable in helping the community college system navigate the legislature during a difficult funding climate — one which the UNC system also had to weather.

The UNC system absorbed a 15.6 percent reduction in state funding, or $414 million, last year. In June, the legislature included a net increase of $19.6 million to the system in its budget — much less than what system administrators asked for.

Despite a tough economic road still ahead for the system, Willis isn’t deterred.

Willis, who graduated from UNC-CH in 1993 with a political science major, said her affiliation with the University was one of the main draws for taking the new job.

“I call it coming home,” she said. “There’s energy from being on campus that you don’t get from being at a system office. The electricity is there, and that gives me energy to go down to the legislature and advocate for students.”

Ralls said he was sad to see Willis leave the community college system, but he understood why she left.

“She’s an alum — she has great love for the students and for the institution of UNC-Chapel Hill,” he said. “You kind of put all that together with her skill and her experience and her love for students, and it’s a terrific opportunity for her, but also for the University. Our loss was Carolina’s gain.”

Willis said her main priority as lobbyist is to advocate for UNC-CH when the legislature votes on the state budget next summer.

But during the regular session, she said she has an opportunity to focus on other policy issues that would affect UNC-CH.

“I see my role as a campus liaison to inform legislators how the legislation affects Carolina specifically,” she said.

She also reports her findings to Lesley Cates, director of state government relations for the UNC system, who coordinates the advocacy efforts from each campus.

“We’ve got to approach it from a system level, and campuses are more focused on their specific issues, but we’ve got to work together as a team,” she said, adding that it is a pleasure to work with Willis. “Sometimes this job can be pretty stressful, so it really helps to have someone who is upbeat and easy to work with.”

Carolyn Gooden, a legislative assistant to Sen. Tom Apodaca, R-Buncombe, said Willis is fun and good at her job.

“She’s loved by both sides of the bench, Republicans and Democrats,” she said.

Willis said she isn’t worried about what the political makeup of the legislature will be in November.

Cates said more than 50 percent of the legislature will be in their first or second term come November, so the UNC system’s lobbying team will have a sharpened focus on educating legislators.

Willis, a self-described “policy wonk,” said she’s excited to help shape the political conversation.

“It’s an honor to represent Carolina for the legislature and other government agencies,” she said. “It’s a good feeling.”

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.