UNC professor dies in car crash in Peru

13212_silsprof2f.jpg

Lee Dirks was slated to become an adjunct professor in the fall of 2013. He and his wife, Judy Lew, were killed Aug. 28 in a car accident in Peru.

Some UNC alumni leave the school and never look back. Lee Dirks never stopped returning.

Members of the UNC community he called home were saddened and shocked on Aug. 28 upon news that Dirks and his wife, Judy Lew, had died in a car accident in Peru.

Dirks and Lew were in South America to celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary, according to a website set up in the couple’s honor.

While on the way to visit ruins, the driver of their car lost control, and the car careened off of a cliff.
The couple was killed by the crash, leaving behind two daughters, ages 6 and 4.

Friends and family have started an education fund for the daughters.

“It was a real shock to everybody in the school,” said Jeff Pomerantz, an associate professor in the School of Information and Library Science.

Dirks advised the school often and was appointed to be an adjunct professor beginning in the fall of 2013.

“Everyone expressed this horror, so sudden and horrible, and what a shame really it was,” Pomerantz said.

Upon graduating from UNC with his master’s degree in information and library science in 1990, Dirks went to work in Microsoft’s research division.

Though an avid UNC basketball fan, Dirks’ enthusiasm for the school went far beyond love of the game.

He continuously came back to UNC, as a student, an adviser, a researcher and a member of the School of Information and Library Science’s Board of Visitors.

“It was really wonderful to have a graduate (of the school) do so well and do such interesting work, and then be able to come back and contribute to the school and our current students in such a concrete way,” Pomerantz said.

Gary Marchionini, dean of the school, said the University will miss Dirks’ expertise and advice.

“Students will miss a great personality,” he said. “He is just a funny, engaging guy — great sense of humor. I’m sure he would have added a lot to the classroom.”

“I will really miss him. He brightened up any room he walked into,” he said. “He was a big guy with a great big smile, and the world is a better place because of him.”

Jane Greenberg, a professor in the school, knew Dirks for more than 20 years.

“He was generous with his time, sharing his knowledge,” she said. “Lee was one of the most outgoing people I have ever met. I feel fortunate to have known Lee in my life.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.