As the UNC-system Association of Student Governments works to reform its image, it faces yet another burden from its predecessors.

At least $1,700 in checks that were approved last year for four campus innovation grants were not issued by the previous administration.

And problems with record-keeping have made it difficult for the new administration to effectively deal with the problem.

Frank Byrne, chief of staff for the association, said the matter was being investigated, and an email had been sent to notify student body presidents.

Two of the grants, totaling $700, were for Appalachian State University, and the other two, totaling $1,000, were for the N.C. School of Science and Mathematics.

More than half of the money intended for ASU — $500 — was for a Rape Aggression Defense program.

The proposal, which was approved at the association’s April meeting, stipulated that the grant be matched by the ASU Police Department to help replace aging equipment for the program, which trains women to defend themselves against sexual assault.

Jake Cox, ASU student body president, said the program was ultimately covered by other sources of funding, but he still hopes to be reimbursed by ASG.

He said he was in the process of reviewing records to figure out if any other programs went unfunded by the association.

“It doesn’t surprise me,” he said. “There was no accountability in the last administration, in my opinion.”

The association, which is funded by an annual $1 student fee, is responsible for representing the interests of students systemwide.

But the association has faced criticism for an inefficient use of funds and a lack of effective student advocacy.

Byrne said ASG is trying to identify the other three programs that didn’t receive grants, but it hasn’t yet.

“We are not sure who held responsibility for this,” he said. “We didn’t receive a lot of records from (the previous administration), and a lot of information is very fragmentary.”

He said he hasn’t yet heard from any other student body presidents about missing checks.

UNC-CH Student Body Treasurer Shrija Ghosh said the University received a $956 ASG grant for the Jon Curtis Student Enrichment Fund.

Peter McClelland, chairman of UNC Student Congress’ committee on ASG reform, wrote in an email that the committee is looking to review financial actions, but that to his knowledge, this sort of incident has not happened before.

“One of the major issues is that past ASG administrations have not kept sufficient records,” he said.

Byrne said the administration has not yet agreed on a timeline for releasing the checks, but they intend to pay as soon as possible.

Cox said he has full confidence that the administration will honor its commitments.

ASG President Cameron Carswell, who is a student at ASU, was not available to comment Monday.

The association will hold its next meeting this weekend at N.C. Central University.

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.