With 21-member group, the search for a new chancellor begins

13991_searchcmte928gf.jpg

Let the search begin.

The 21 people who will be charged with finding the University’s next leader have been named, and they will spend the rest of the academic year combing through the candidates.

The final choice will replace Chancellor Holden Thorp, who announced Sept. 17 that he will resign in June.

After attempts to convince Thorp to stay were unsuccessful, Chairman of the Board of Trustees Wade Hargrove scrambled throughout the past week to form the new chancellor’s search committee, which is made up of a diverse set of people, he said.

“We wanted to have a representative composite of the University community,” said Hargrove, who will chair the search committee.

“We worked hard to try to achieve a representative group.”

In the board’s meeting Thursday, Hargrove said the search committee will have its first organizational meeting on Oct. 5, where it will receive its charge from UNC-system President Thomas Ross.

Members include faculty, staff, alumni and community members, such as Kenneth Broun, a former Chapel Hill mayor who also served on the 2007 search committee that eventually chose Thorp.

Hargove said the variety of people will enhance the search for Thorp’s successor.

University policy requires representation from various constituent groups, such as faculty, alumni and staff, Hargrove added.

He said chancellor search committees are large to accommodate for diverse interests, and they usually have about 20 members.

“It will allow for a broader input,” he said. “We want the benefit of the full outreach of the University community.”

The committee serves with an advisory purpose, he said, and will present a list of finalists to the Board of Trustees.

The board will then vote and make its recommendation to UNC-system President Thomas Ross.

Ross will ultimately recommend a candidate to the UNC-system Board of Governors, which will elect the new chancellor.

Hargrove said he wanted committee members to have appropriate credentials, but to also have a personal connection to the University.

“We wanted people who are really knowledgeable about the University, and who know the kind of qualities a chancellor at this University would need to succeed.”

Barbara Hyde, a member of the Board of Trustees and vice chairwoman of the search committee, said the range of backgrounds on the committee will expand the search.

“There are many strong individuals who collectively represent all of the constituents of the University,” she said.

She said the committee will look for candidates whose values align with the University’s, and someone with the experience to lead faculty and students.

Hyde said the committee has not divided responsibilities up yet.

Hargrove said the search committee will hold public forums to allow the public to share what characteristics they want in a chancellor.

He said the dates for the forums have not been decided, but the committee will make an announcement soon.

“There has been a lot of precedent about these forums from searches in the past,” he said.

The search committee will also have a website to inform the public about their progress.

The website, chancellorsearch.unc.edu, is currently under construction.

Don Curtis, a member of the Board of Trustees and the search committee, said he is delighted to help find the new chancellor.

“I want someone who can lead Carolina into all of the challenges that are involved with running a major school.”

Curtis said the University has been moving past the recent scandals, and he’s looking forward to the future.

“We’ve had some problems, but we are rectifying them, and making sure (they) never happen again.”

Thorp’s decision to step down followed years riddled with academic, athletic and administrative scandals. In the week following the announcement, students, faculty, staff and the Board of Trustees formally asked Thorp to reconsider.

Hyde said searching for Thorp’s successor is the most influential way a trustee serves the University.

“It’s the most important responsibility we have, and we take it very seriously.”

Will Leimenstoll, student body president and one of the student members of the search committee, said he wants to make the search for Thorp’s successor his top priority this year.

Michael Bertucci, president of the graduate and professional student federation, is the other student member.

Leimenstoll said he is excited about the opportunity.

“I’m looking for a chancellor who shares our values for UNC and what sets Carolina apart from other universities,” Leimenstoll said.

“I don’t take this responsibility lightly.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.