4 fraternities cleared of hazing charges

Four fraternities have been cleared of possible hazing charges after investigations led to insufficient evidence.

Will Lindsey, chairman of the Greek Judicial Board, said that because the fraternities weren’t charged, their names will not be released.

“Our investigators met with chapter presidents, new members, etc., and they did their job,” he said.

“We have not found enough evidence to continue on to the hearing stage.”

In total, 10 fraternities have seen hazing allegations, one of which was brought up after the initial nine allegations were reported.

Two weeks ago, Phi Delta Theta and Alpha Tau Omega were found responsible of hazing, and Kappa Alpha was found in violation of alcohol policy.

Phi Delta Theta and Kappa Alpha received two weeks of deferred probation, and Alpha Tau Omega received four weeks of deferred probation and two weeks of social probation.

Lindsey said that of the final three cases yet to be determined, two are still pending investigations. He expects the third case to move to the hearing stage sometime next week. He would not release the names of the fraternities involved.

Jack Partain, president of the Interfraternity Council, said the reporting system allows for false or exaggerated hazing claims.

“We designed the system to be anonymous,” he said. “So you really have no control over what people report.”

“That’s why we investigate.”

Lindsey said the reports were mostly short emails, and they didn’t cite any witnesses.

“It really is a vague and brief report that will lead us to use our investigative resources, and if we can’t find anything, we just can’t move forward,” he said.

Investigators for the judicial board Kyle Billow, a member of Lambda Chi Alpha, and Austin Hurwitz, a member of Pi Lambda Phi, could not be reached for comment after multiple attempts.

Partain said he thinks the judicial board is doing a good job in its reviews and is confident in their investigations.

“They’re working around the clock,” he said. “They’re investigating diligently, they’re following up when they need to follow up, they’re doing the right thing.”

“I have full confidence in the board and its leadership.”

Contact the desk editor at

university@dailytarheel.com.