8th grade teacher uses art to encourage students to pursue higher education

Art inspires.

And an eighth grade teacher said he hopes it will inspire his students to pursue higher education.

Bossie Jackson, art teacher at Durham’s Maureen Joy Charter School, brought about 30 of his students to UNC Wednesday to observe studio art classes.

The UNC art department hosted the eighth graders for two art classes taught by Carrie Alter and Chris Musina.

The eighth graders looked on as UNC students painted and sketched, and they then viewed finished pieces in a gallery.

The visiting students also had the opportunity to ask about college.

Jackson said he wanted his students to visit these classes to encourage them about their futures and to teach them to be independent and responsible.

“I wanted to bring them on campus to get an idea of what college classes can be like,” Jackson said.

Alter said she hoped the experience would encourage the students to pursue a college-level education.

“The intimidation factor is a big problem today,” she said.

“And hopefully by seeing that this is a comfortable environment, they will develop that idea.”

Erin Berg, a UNC senior in Alter’s drawing and composition class, said she wished she’d had the opportunity to visit college classes as an eighth grader.

“It’s really good to see them getting some experience and getting to ask questions and see what college is like,” she said.

Jackson said the purpose of the charter school is to prepare students for college and the world beyond — a goal which is echoed by his students.

Amaris Harris, one of Jackson’s students, said that being at UNC cemented her dream of furthering her education.

“It does make you want to go to college because it looks fun,” she said.

Gisel Silva, another eighth grader, said she learned a lot from her observation.

“I really like that the students painted something very realistic,” she said.

Jackson said he considers the experience to be a stepping stone for his students’ futures.

“They will develop a thirst for it,” he said.

“And if you thirst for something long enough, you’re going to fill it.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.