As Chapel Hill’s framework for the future reaches its implementation stages, a study by UNC professors offers recommendations on how to better communication between town officials and residents as the plan moves forward.

The UNC School of Government released the report, which analyzes public involvement in the Chapel Hill 2020 plan.

The report, titled “Chapel Hill 2020: An Assessment of Public Participation,” was conducted by School of Government professor John Stephens. It surveyed 125 Chapel Hill 2020 participants.

The Chapel Hill 2020 process — intended to develop a vision for the town — began in spring 2011 with the goal of reaching 10,000 community members.

The project has focused on addressing a wide range of issues facing the town — including downtown development, public transportation, economic development and housing concerns for residents.

As the project inches forward, town officials say the points outlined in Chapel Hill 2020 are helping to guide the town’s decision making.

George Cianciolo, co-chairman of Chapel Hill 2020, said implementation plans are already underway for development in Glen Lennox, and new discussions for future developments in the town have begun.

“The real controversial project is the Obey Creek project across from Southern Village because there are some really distinct divisions about commercial developments versus it being an entrance to town that should stay low density and attractive,” Cianciolo said.

The town received feedback for the process from thousands of residents through town hall meetings, social media and tavern talks.

Cianciolo said around 450 participants showed up for the first town meeting, and every meeting thereafter had more than 100 residents participate.

Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt said the plan is better than its predecessors because it addresses the economic issues in the town.

“Our previous plan was helpful throughout the 2000s, but the environment has changed a great deal since then,” he said.

“Post-Great Recession, it will be responsive to the growth pressures that will be coming in the next decades. It integrates all the functions of the town’s operations, and it’s not merely a land use document.”

The UNC report praises Chapel Hill 2020 for its momentum, range of interests and diverse groups represented, and for involving as many people as possible.

“It’s an extraordinary process engaging thousands of people creating a vision for our community,” Kleinschmidt said.

But in the report, some residents criticize the initiative for not trying hard enough to involve residents. Of the 69 town residents and employees who responded, nine said they think community involvement is not heard or genuine.

Cianciolo said the report is a fair assessment of the Chapel Hill 2020 initiative.

“It identified some of the weaknesses and spoke to what they heard in terms of the strengths,” said Cianciolo.

“It’s always hard to be everything for everyone. Some people wanted more specifics and I don’t disagree with that, but the level of public participation made it hard to come to the level of specifics that folks wanted.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.