CUAB brings Diplo to UNC for $30,000 this weekend

14107_diplotf.jpg

Disc jockey and music producer Diplo is known to jet set around the world.

His next stop: Chapel Hill.

The Carolina Union Activities Board is bringing the Philadelphia-based DJ to Memorial Hall this Saturday for $30,000.

Lauren Sacks, CUAB’s adviser, said the board tries to bring famous artists to UNC without breaking the bank.

“It all depends on how much they charge for booking, and which and how many days are available in Memorial Hall,” she said.

“A lot of factors go into the decision, and we’re not adverse to presenting more than one major performance per year … and making sure that the cost of these performances is not prohibitive to students.”

Evan Allan, CUAB’s music chairman, said he knew a well-known artist like Diplo would require a larger venue. The 1,400-seat Memorial Hall’s proved the logical choice.

To account for Diplo’s booking price, Sacks said students will be charged $12 per ticket, instead of the usual $10 student price.

As of Thursday at noon, the box office had sold less than half of the venue’s capacity —only 673 tickets.

Sacks said she expects more tickets to be sold between now and Saturday, and walk-up sales will increase attendance as well.

Allan said the board has been trying to book Diplo for years.

“I noticed that he was touring and jumped when he had an availability window,” he said.

Sacks, who worked with the music committee to plan the concert, said Diplo’s booking was finalized in August.

Trevor Dougherty — a UNC student and resident DJ at Pulse Nightclub — will open for Diplo.

Allan said CUAB has student musicians open for most shows other than the Homecoming Concert.

“I wanted to give the chance to a musician on campus to get their music out there in a way that they might not normally,” he said.

Dougherty said he is excited to open for such a popular artist: “It’s an honor and it’s just brilliant to be respected enough as a DJ at UNC.”

Dougherty said Diplo’s appreciation for world music has influenced his own work.

“(Diplo) doesn’t have one sound because he travels to different parts of the world and kind of picks up different sounds from places,” he said.

Dougherty said he has a few surprises up his sleeve that will contribute to the energetic atmosphere that Diplo creates during his performances.

Allan said attendees of the concert should expect a dance party vibe.

“Diplo described what he wanted for his lighting system as something resembling a 1970s dance party,” Allan said.

“Since that was one of his main requests, I think it should be a really good time.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.