Friends mourn loss of student Trevor Dolan

Trevor Dolan, a UNC senior majoring in history and psychology, died Sunday.

Friends of Dolan said he died by suicide. He was 21.

“There will be moments that we will never forget,” said Dolan’s friend and fellow senior Taylor Hartley, alluding to the impact Dolan made on their close group of friends.

“(Trevor was) able to light up a room just by walking into it.”

Lt. Chris Atack of the Carrboro Police Department said the cause of Dolan’s death is still pending, but the department does not believe it was a criminal matter.

Friends said Dolan had planned to pursue culinary arts upon graduation, a longtime passion.

A Chapel Hill resident, Dolan had worked as a teacher for a children’s cooking camp offered by C’est si Bon.

Senior Kathleen Stone said Dolan always showed compassion through his cooking.

“He was just like a ray of sunshine all of the time, and he just wanted to make people happy,” Stone said.

“Just the other week, he made this lasagna that was the best I’ve ever had.”

Dolan’s passion for food will live on through a scholarship fund that has been created in his name.

In lieu of flowers, those who knew Dolan are encouraged to donate to the scholarship fund, which benefits students in the kid-chef program at C’est si Bon.

While he was lauded for his cooking talents, Dolan was also appreciated for his warmth, humor and spontaneity.

Senior Rebecca Messinger said her friendship with Dolan was one of the first — and among the closest — she’s made at UNC.

“He just introduced me to so many amazing people, and he was a really outgoing person,” Messinger said.

Messinger added that Dolan would participate in different club meetings just for the sake of trying new things.

“He was just one of those people who is interested in everything.”

Dolan’s death highlights a larger public health issue on college campuses.

Earlier this week, about 1,100 backpacks lined the walkway between the Student Union and the Union Annex to represent the 1,100 college students who commit suicide every year.

The display was one of several University events held as part of Mental Health Awareness Week.

Allen O’Barr, director of Counselling and Wellness Services, said he encourages any students having suicidal thoughts to visit Counseling and Wellness immediately.

Dolan is survived by his parents, Timothy and Jill Dolan, and 17-year-old brother, Jonathan. He is also survived by his half-brother, Jesse Doshay, of Denver, Colo.

A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Christ United Methodist Church.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.