A new $25 Greek fee was passed unanimously in the student fee advisory subcommittee’s last meeting of the year on Friday.

The subcommittee’s decision was influenced heavily by the Greek councils’ decision to support the fee, which will only apply to those who are members of fraternities or sororities.

Most influential was the approval of the Interfraternity Council by a narrow vote of 9-7, which solidified the subcommittee’s views of the Greek community’s support.

“We felt that since the fee is only being levied on the Greek community and the leaders of each Greek council had voted in favor of the fee, we wouldn’t have been respecting the leadership of the Greek councils had we voted against the fee,” Student Body President Will Leimenstoll said.

“It wasn’t really our place to challenge the opinions of the elected officials of the Greek community.”

Jack Partain, president of the Interfraternity Council, said despite the close vote, there was a lot of support on the council for the fee.

“I think it will be a great resource of additional funds for education programming and outreach for our members,” he said. “Overall, it’s a positive addition.”

Similarly, Leimenstoll said multiple beneficial services will come from the fee. He said the $25 addition will allow for more opportunities for One Act, Safe Zone and inclusivity training specifically for Greek students.

Leimenstoll also said it would lessen economic strains put on Greek leaders.

“The fee will also allow for the attendance of different leadership conferences and other events for the leaders of the community that are paid for by the (Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement),” he said.

“If a student, by nature of his or her position, was required to attend and the student couldn’t afford it, it would no longer be an expense that they have to bear.”

In addition to the Greek fee, the subcommittee approved a $2.65 increase in the Carolina Union operating fee and a $1.82 increase in the Campus Recreation fee.

A $57 total increase in various dental school fees was also approved.

In its six meetings, the subcommittee approved seven new fees, 20 fee increases and only one fee decrease for the 2013-14 school year.

Winston Crisp, vice chancellor for student affairs, said in light of all the fee increases, it’s important to consider where the fee revenue goes.

“Are we getting what we’re paying for?”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.