Campus Recreation director Pomerantz will retire in June 2013

Marty Pomerantz

Marty Pomerantz

The director of Campus Recreation has spent the past 21 years encouraging UNC students to be active.

As Marty Pomerantz plans for his June retirement after 28 total years at UNC, those who work with him say he will leave Campus Recreation bigger and better than he found it.

“He’s done a very good job as director,” said Kevin Guskiewicz, chairman of the department of exercise and sport science. “He has been instrumental in the success of campus recreation for a long time.”

Pomerantz said he will miss the relationships he has with staff and students but will stay involved.

“I just decided it’s been a wonderful adventure, but it’s time to move aside for some young stud,” Pomerantz said.

During his time at UNC, Pomerantz has worked to improve and expand the facilities available to students, faculty and staff.

His first challenge was updating Woolen Gym, which at the start of his career was the only recreation facility on campus.

“That truly is one of his biggest accomplishments — to expand what we have available for students’ programs and facilities,” said Lauren Mangili, associate director of Campus Recreation.

Pomerantz has also played an important role in the expansion of facilities to South Campus.

“We were moving student housing down to that end of campus, and they needed a recreation facility as well, close to their residence halls,” Guskiewicz said.

Mangili said Pomerantz was involved in the development of South Campus and the Rams Head Parking Deck, Recreation Center and Dining Hall. Rams Head opened in 2005, she said.

Guskiewicz said Pomerantz also helped gather funds to build the outdoor facility across from the Smith Center, which offers tennis and beach volleyball.

Pomerantz also helped create Kids ROCK­, which stands for Recreational Opportunities for Carolina Kids and offers programs for the children of students, faculty and staff.

Mangili said one of Pomerantz’s greatest strengths is his enthusiasm, which makes others want to get involved.

“Whether it’s a bike trip or a fun run, these are things he enjoys doing so he wants other people to enjoy them as well,” she said.

“He’s a good problem solver,” Guskiewicz said. “I’ve always admired his ability to come to the table with an idea.”

Pomerantz said that after he retires, he hopes to use the extra free time to play golf and spend time with his grandson.

“I look forward to a smooth ride into the sunset,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.