Q&A with author Jill Menard

Jill Menard, an author and ariel dance in structure at the Flowjo studio in Carrboro, is currently ranked 5th of 244 in an online nationwide competition for short stories. Her story, "The Odd Duck," is about an awkward kid who struggles to fit in. "I think a lot of basis of the story is that as a kid, I was very awkward," said Menard. "Some of the inspiration now is that as an adult, you realize you can achieve anything."

Author Jill Menard lives in Carrboro and is a student at UNC.

She is ranked No. 6 out of 284 writers in the ongoing national short story writing contest, America’s Next Author.

Staff writer Rebecca Pollack spoke with Menard about her childhood creativity, the inspiration behind her story “The Odd Duck” and the writing competition.

Daily Tar Heel: You’ve lived all over, from rural Wisconsin to New Zealand. And you’ve trained with the circus and work as a natural foods chef. How have these things influenced your writing?

Jill Menard: I had a really unique childhood. I grew up in a log cabin without running water or TV. That allowed me to spend all of my free time to be creative and write lots of stories. And without a TV, I would spend lots of time out in the woods acting out the characters I created, and then I would write about these characters.

I’ve met a wide range of eclectic people, and that just allowed me to create a unique, diverse group of characters in my stories.

DTH: You’ve said you have wanted to be a writer since age 5. Was there an event that triggered the decision, or was it just something you’ve always known?

JM: I was learning to read and write. And they asked me in school what I wanted to be when I grow up and I said an author — a writer.

DTH: Tell us about your story “The Odd Duck” and the inspiration behind it.

JM: A lot of that is based on my experiences of not fitting in in rural Wisconsin. I was an awkward kid, and I had a hard time fitting in and making friends.

It’s kind of like the story of the ugly duckling turning into a swan. I’m not saying I’m a beautiful swan now, but I’m popular with what I do. I’ve found my niche in life.

I’m a teacher, and I teach aerial dance, and these kids look up to me like a role model. I have a lot of friends in the dance community and in the circus community — more than I did when I was a kid.

I’ve embraced my differences and created my own social circle, and I’m popular for being myself.

DTH: Can you tell us about the America’s Next Author competition?

JM: It’s advertised as America’s first social competition — like “American Idol” for writers. It’s for writers trying to break into the writing industry.

I’ve basically been writing all my life, and I’ve written a couple of novels, but I haven’t been published yet. This seemed like a good way to get out there — kind of like a singer trying out for “American Idol.”

Maybe a publisher will notice me and think, “Jill’s a good writer.” It’s also a good way to just get your writing out there into the world.

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.