Students rank values of future chancellor in survey

Student government is trying to make it easier for students to make their voices heard in the search for a new chancellor.

And the results of a short online survey show that, so far, they rank the top two priorities as academic excellence and accessibility and affordability ­— with athletic excellence at the bottom.

More than 360 students have responded to the survey so far, said Jason Dunn, senior adviser to Student Body President Will Leimenstoll.

The survey information was distributed to leaders of student organizations to be sent to as many listservs as possible.

“We did get a pretty wide distribution of students,” Dunn said.

The survey, which can be found on the student government website, was also advertised in the Pit and through social media.

“We tried to make it as accessible as possible to make sure all students had the opportunity to fill it out,” Leimenstoll said.

The survey gives students a list of values they would like to see upheld in the University’s future, and then are asked to rank them in order of their importance.

“We were just trying to get an idea of what students wanted,” Leimenstoll said.

The full results of the survey will not be released until a public student forum on Nov. 8. It is part of four forums held for students, faculty, staff and the community to voice their opinions about what values they would like to see in the next chancellor.

These results will be used to develop a document outlining the top qualities students voted for.

Dunn said that this document, which will be presented to the chancellor search committee, is intended to be used as a guide for the committee for what values students want the next chancellor to possess.

“We just hope that it will help shape how the chancellor search committee views the student perspective,” Dunn said.

Senior Chanel Porter said she thinks it is important for the next chancellor to be concerned about the University’s image.

“I think it would be good to have someone who was dedicated to rebuilding our reputation as a University.”

Freshman Matt Horton agreed.

“I want someone who understands the importance of keeping a clean name for the school.”

But regardless of students’ preferences, Leimenstoll said the important part is that students give their input.

“The University would not be here if it weren’t for the students,” Leimenstoll said.

“They definitely need to have their voices heard.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.