University looks to the future

The University’s birthday celebration continued Friday with an eye to the future — despite the loss of one of the state’s most respected leaders.

“(Bill Friday) would want to celebrate this for UNC and higher education,” said Chancellor Holden Thorp about the former UNC-system president, who died Friday, in his opening remarks at University Day.

Thorp said he wanted to honor Friday’s vision of the University moving forward: a provider of an education available to people from all walks of life.

UNC-system President Thomas Ross also expressed sadness about another loss — Thorp, who will step down in June.

“Chancellor, on behalf of everyone who loves this University, this place, we thank you.”

Ed Samulski, a professor in the chemistry department, attended the event to support Thorp, his colleague in the department.

“It’s his last University Day, and I wanted to honor him in this way,” he said.

But speakers used the occasion to not just celebrate UNC’s history, but to lay out its vision for the future.

The University celebrated its two-year water theme with a speech by Jamie Bartram, director of the University’s Water Institute.

He discussed the importance of water as a theme both worldwide and for North Carolina.

“Lack of sanitation kills more people than malaria, AIDS and accidents combined,” he said during the speech.

He said new interdisciplinary courses have been created as part of the theme.

“We will make Carolina a global center for study,” Bartram said.

Ferrel Guillory, a journalism professor, received the Edward Kidder Graham Faculty Service Award at the ceremony, which recognizes distinguished faculty service to the state and nation.

Guillory founded the Program on Public Life to connect academic resources with leaders of North Carolina and the South.

Four alumni were also honored for their achievements. Among them were Jonathan Reckford, CEO of Habitat for Humanity, and Deborah Parham Hopson, an administrator in the HIV/AIDS Bureau of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Faculty and staff from many departments attended the event, but it attracted few students.

Freshman Dustin Moss said when he saw the procession of faculty and staff lining up at the Old Well, he didn’t know what it was for.

“But this is kind of cool,” he said.

Freshman Lauren Speare said she wished the event had been better publicized.

“I think most students are just excited not to have class.”

Contact the desk editor at

university@dailytarheel.com.