Suspect in Franklin shooting fired gun and fled on foot

Chapel Hill police are still looking for the man who fired a gun on Franklin Street early Wednesday morning.

Two women — one a UNC student — were assaulted during the incident, which occurred at about 2:10 a.m. at 108 E. Franklin St., outside of Walgreens.

Sgt. Josh Mecimore, spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department, said police don’t believe the suspect and the women knew each other.

Mecimore said a man argued with two women outside Walgreens before pushing and striking them.

Camden Freeman, a UNC sophomore, said he saw the incident happen. Two men were arguing in front of The Library, he said.

“A girl who was with them tried to calm one of the guys down,” Freeman said in a Facebook message.

Freeman said as one man started walking away, the other walked toward him with his hand in his jacket pocket as if on a gun. Fifteen seconds later, after Freeman had crossed to the other side of the street, he said he heard a gunshot.

Mecimore said the suspect fired a single shot. No one was injured.

He said the suspect — a black male in a white jacket with brown trim — then fled the area on foot in the direction of Cosmic Cantina.

Mecimore said police don’t know why the gun was fired, or in which direction it was shot.

Police do not believe the incident is a safety threat to the community, as it seemed to be directed only at the victims involved. Mecimore said police also do not believe the suspect was attempting to rob the women.

Because there was a possibility that the suspect ran onto UNC’s campus, the Department of Public Safety released a “timely warning” message at 4:45 a.m. Wednesday.

Randy Young, spokesman for DPS, said there was a three-hour gap between the incident and the message because DPS needed to verify the information with Chapel Hill police, and coordinate the message with the Division of Student Affairs and Information Technology Services.

Anyone with information that could help identify the suspect can call the anonymous Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC Crime Stoppers hotline at (919) 942-7515.

City Editor Chelsey Dulaney contributed reporting.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.