Garin Hamilton-Jones for clothing drives

After getting involved with North Carolina Children’s Hospital through Dance Marathon, this candidate wants to do something more for the kids.

Garin Hamilton-Jones, a biology major, hopes to win the title of Mr. UNC to start a clothing drive for the families of children who stay at the hospital.

By partnering with Dance Marathon, Hamilton-Jones hopes to hold three clothing drives throughout the year.

Since many families come to Chapel Hill not knowing how long their children will be hospitalized, they don’t always bring the necessary supplies and clothing with them, Hamilton-Jones said.

The goal of the drive is to help these families and to also supply items for premature babies such as diapers, pacifiers and bibs, he said.

Hamilton-Jones said he thought of the project idea when talking with friends about participating in Dance Marathon again this year.
“I really believe in his service project,” said Liz Wedding, a friend of Hamilton- Jones.

“I think it would really be helpful to Dance Marathon and families of children in the hospital.

“He’s a great candidate because of his friendly nature and the way that he cares about people,” she said.

If elected Mr. UNC, Hamilton-Jones plans to promote the clothing drives with the $500 prize.

Even if he does not win, Hamilton-Jones still plans to raise money in other ways and finish the project.

“It did really speak to me, and I would still like to follow through with it,” Hamilton-Jones said.

“Garin is an amazing person,” said Warche Downing, who is Hamilton-Jones’ mentor and colleague in the Gates Millennium Program.

Since coming to UNC, Hamilton-Jones has volunteered for Relay for Life, Bike to Uganda and Pogue Scholar recruitment. He is also on the Biomedical Committee for the American Red Cross.

Hamilton-Jones said he has always been active and involved, even back in high school where he started his school’s first recycling club.

Now that Hamilton-Jones is about to graduate from UNC, he said he is ready to leave another legacy behind.

“I want to make sure I leave knowing I did something,” Hamilton-Jones said.

Contact the desk editor at
university@dailytarheel.com.