UNC journalism school ‘fountain of old knowledge’ Jo Bass to retire

The dean’s suite in Carroll Hall will have an unfamiliar silence starting Friday, as longtime administrative assistant Jo Bass will leave her desk for the last time.

Bass, who has held the position in the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication since 1991, will be retiring this week.

She worked for five deans in her more than 20 years at the journalism school.

“It has always been a very congenial place to work — a good group of people to work with,” she said.

“The faculty and the staff have always gotten along beautifully.”

Chris Roush, senior associate dean of the school, said the dean’s suite will feel different in her absence.

“She was the person who started the conversations in the dean’s suite,” Roush said.

“She is usually the first person to know when something important is going on.”

Although Bass did not work directly with students in the journalism school, Roush said she still played a very important role.

“It’s like she is part of the school, although she doesn’t teach,” he said. “She is kind of the glue of the school, the part that keeps everyone going.”

Bass acts as the primary scheduler for the suite, managing appointments for the dean.

She grew up in Burlington and came to Chapel Hill in 1991 in hopes of finding a new job.

“I had always done different types of work,” Bass said. “I had worked in hospitals and police departments, so I thought working at the University would be interesting.”

Bass said she reached her decision to retire with the help of two important people in her life.

“I have two grandchildren who are six and nine, so I decided it is time to move on to the next phase in my life and move a little closer to them,” she said.

Bass said her position has given her the opportunity to meet many people in the media industry, and she said she is leaving the office with plenty of memories and friends.

“It has been a great experience here — I’ve been able to travel and have met lots of interesting people,” she said.

“It has been a very educational and entertaining place to work.”

Jan Yopp, dean of summer school and a journalism professor, has worked with Bass for the entirety of her time at UNC.

“It is going to be strange to walk in at Carroll 118 and not see her looking back at you out of her office,” Yopp said.

She referred to Bass as “the fountain of old knowledge” because she has spent time working for so many deans.

“She has been there for so many years that she is a walking history book in many ways,” she said.

“Jo is just one of those rocks that the school has rested on for so many years, and we will miss her.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.