IFC, Panhellenic presidents elected

Rachel Brown, a junior from Orange Park, FL, has just been elected the Panhellenic Council President. Having served as vice president of Special Events last year, Rachel said that she wants to be a voice for 1600 of the greatest women that she knows through her new position as president.

Two governing bodies of Greek life on campus have elected their next leaders.

Last week, fraternity chapter presidents and sorority chapter delegates elected the 2013 presidents for the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council, respectively.

Peter Blumberg was voted president-elect of the IFC on Nov. 11. On Nov. 14, Panhellenic Council members voted Rachel Brown president-elect for their next term.

Blumberg, who is a member of Lambda Chi Alpha and vice president of events for the IFC executive board, became interested in running for president after serving on the board this semester, he said.

“I take a lot of pride in the Greek community,” Blumberg said.

Blumberg will take over after a semester that saw nine fraternity hazing investigations at one time, and Nick Gratto, a fellow member of Lambda Chi Alpha, said Blumberg will focus on improving fraternities’ reputations.

“He definitely wanted to make sure to clean up the images of fraternities from the last 12 months with the hazing allegations.”

Jack Partain, current president, said the position is a huge time commitment and requires good leadership, but he’s excited about Blumberg being president.

“You have to be strong and stand by your decisions,” he said.

Gratto said Blumberg is a good leader.

“He’s good at demanding attention and as well as communicating with people,” he said.

Blumberg said he wants to improve IFC events and spring recruitment.

Rachel Brown, the vice president of special events for the Panhellenic Council and a member of Alpha Delta Pi, has goals in mind for her term as Panhellenic president as well.

Brown said in an email that she wants to improve collaboration between all the Greek councils and other campus organizations.

“We have over 1,600 members that are extremely involved in organizations outside of our chapters, and I would like to see us build on these relationships,” Brown said.

Brown said she wants to launch a fundraising campaign for the Panhellenic Safety Fund.

She added that the elected board will focus on transparency.

Hailey Kessler, president of ADPi, said Brown’s enthusiasm makes her fit for the job.

“I just think she’ll be a great leader for the council,” Kessler said.

Both Brown and Blumberg will take their new positions in January.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.