J. Cole contract released in lead-up to concert

J. Cole

J. Cole

With his Carolina blue kicks, rapper J. Cole will be fresh on the UNC scene Sunday night.

But the 2012 Homecoming Concert headliner comes at a steep price for the University — in terms of money and accoutrements.

According to Cole’s official contract, released Thursday to The Daily Tar Heel, the University has paid Cole $105,000 plus hotel and local transportation expenditures.

The Carolina Union Activities Board and the Carolina Athletic Association announced in August that they would bring Cole, a native of Fayetteville, to UNC.

Tickets for the show sold out Wednesday, said Kimberly Summers, chairwoman for CUAB’s major events committee.

CUAB conducted whiteboard and email surveys last year to help decide the 2012 Homecoming Concert act, and Cole was the top-voted artist.

Robert Gibbs, Cole’s booking agent, said Cole is excited to perform the sold-out concert.

“Cole is a big fan of UNC,” Gibbs said. “He’s excited about coming — he’s really into it.”

Summers, a senior, said Cole came to UNC her freshman year and distributed mixtapes in the Pit.

“He seemed really chill and wanted to get his name out there and his mixtape,” she said.

Cole’s set will follow performances by hip-hop artist Elle Varner and rapper King Mez.

“That’s going to set the tone for a high-energy concert,” Summers said.

Summers said that both openers were specifically requested by Cole. She said the selection of King Mez, who is from Raleigh, underlines the hometown vibe Cole will bring to the concert.

Summers said students she has spoken with are looking forward to the performances of the opening acts and Cole, who was nominated for the Best New Artist Grammy in 2012.

“He’s made it,” Summers said.

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.