Student Stores attracts customers with Mammoth Monday sale

Raleigh McCoy, a sophomore public policy major, shops in Student Stores during Mammoth Monday.

The crowds at UNC Student Stores on Monday did not quite match the chaos seen at retailers across the country on “Black Friday.”

But Student Stores did attempt to capitalize on the holiday frenzy with its third annual Mammoth Monday sale. All clothes and gifts were discounted for 30 percent off.

“It’s the first school day after Thanksgiving — kind of like ‘Black Friday’ and ‘Cyber Monday’ all rolled up into one big day,” said John Gorsuch, director of Student Stores.

Gorsuch said the sale comes at an opportune time given a currently quiet schedule for University athletics. Athletic events drive a majority of the business for the store.

This year’s third annual sale featured new promotions, including a visit from Rameses dressed as Santa Claus, surprise performances by a cappella groups, and door-buster deals.

The first 50 people who arrived received $10 gift cards. There were 39 patrons lined up before the store opened, Gorsuch said.

In anticipation of a busier day, the store staffed twice as many students.

“It’s been game-day busy, but instead of parents it’s been mostly students,” store employee Amy Kalinowski said.

The store increased its advertising to attract more customers.

Several shoppers who said they normally wouldn’t buy from the store were attracted to its lower prices.

“The prices (today) are pretty good,” senior Shelby Lake said.

“Usually they’re a little bit higher than I can afford, so it’s nice to have them brought down to something a little more doable.”

All of the store’s revenue goes toward funding scholarships and fellowships, which added incentive for some to cross items off the holiday shopping list, said Anselmo Lastra, a computer science professor.

“The profits go to the scholarship program, so it’s a good deal,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.