Tory Whitson for language exchange program

After spending a summer in Africa, Tory Whitson wants to start a virtual language exchange program between UNC and the Dakar Language School in Senegal.

The program would pair up students from both countries to communicate with each other, and offer both cross-cultural ties and support as they learn another language.

“I had a language partner when I was studying in Senegal, and it was so helpful. I want the students here to have the same opportunity I did,” she said.

Whitson, a double major in global studies and peace, war and defense, wants to improve resources in the African languages department.

The $500 would go to supporting the language exchange. Leftover money would be given to the department to use at its discretion.

“Ultimately, I just want the school to make a bigger global impact. I want to help put UNC on the map,” Whitson said.

Whitson lived in Senegal last summer to gain a better understanding of the culture. She wants to eventually live there.

Whitson was also able to practice speaking two foreign languages.
“I was totally immersed in Wolof and French. It was really cool to be so personally immersed in the culture.”

Whitson said the trip inspired her to run for Miss UNC because she wants to help the cultures of America and Senegal interact.

Whitson also said her work with her sorority made her want to take service work a step further. She is a member of the Christian sorority Phi Beta Chi, which emphasizes philanthropic activities.

“We do little things, like random acts of kindness — giving out free candy on campus and then bigger things, like helping in the YMCA and at Pediatric Playroom at the hospital,” Whitson said.

Jenna Kilgore, Whitson’s “little sister” in their sorority, hopes Whitson will win.

UNC UNC

Marli Johnston, another friend of Whitson’s, agrees.

“I think she’ll make a great Miss UNC, she cares so much about Carolina as a whole.” she said.

If Whitson doesn’t win, she said she isn’t sure what she would do to get the project off the ground, though she is looking at possible grants. But no matter the source of the money, she is determined to start her project.

Contact the desk editor at
university@dailytarheel.com.