Frosty mornings for Wendy’s

Wendy's in the Union requested to be able to close from 4-7am due to slow business during these hours, but the Union board suggested they wait to see if next semester picks up.

It’s almost 6 a.m., and there is no line at Wendy’s in the bottom of the Student Union.

Six students, minus the one who is asleep, are furiously typing away at their computers. Some are sipping on Wendy’s coffee in order to stay awake.

These students benefit from the 24-hour Wendy’s that opened at the beginning of this semester — but not everyone craves a Frosty that early in the morning.

Scott Myers, director of food and vending for Carolina Dining Services, said sales during Wendy’s breakfast hours are currently less than expected. He predicts a $20,000 loss for the spring semester between the hours of 3 a.m. and 8 a.m.

“I don’t know if people don’t know that it’s there or maybe people just don’t like breakfast,” he said.

But he said Wendy’s was always projected to lose money in its first year because it is still a new business. Additional training costs for employees were partly to blame for this loss, Myers said.

The restaurant averages only $8 in sales Wednesday mornings between 4:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m., Myers said.

The decrease in revenue during that period led Myers to seek input last week from the Union Board of Directors.

Shrija Ghosh, student body treasurer who sits on the board, said Wendy’s must make $150 per hour in order to break even.

Tom Low, president of the board, said members recommended giving the restaurant time to develop more sales.

“We marketed it for 24 hours, so we want to have that for at least a full year,” he said.

Tony Patterson, senior associate director of the Union, said while high traffic in early morning hours wasn’t expected, there was high student demand for a 24/7 dining establishment.

“(The meeting) wasn’t from the perspective that we were going to pull the plug,” Patterson said.

“We entered into the 24/7 Wendy’s because of needs that we thought the Union had, and UNC students had, for late-night dining options and early morning dining options.”

The loss in revenue has prompted the Union to increase advertising for Wendy’s breakfast, Patterson said.

Maria Chavez, an employee at Wendy’s, said the restaurant is not typically very busy early in the morning hours but it depends on the day.

“Breakfast opens at 5 a.m., and sometimes we have a lot of students waiting,” she said. “Today, we had five people around 5 a.m.”

Chavez said she sees the benefit to students in having food options late at night.

“A lot of students have to study overnight,” she said.

“I think it’s better that they have something here in the University than out in the town because it’s more secure.”

Freshman Stephanie Cassell said she’s only eaten at Wendy’s twice but values its late-night hours.

She added that 24-hour food options are especially important to students during exams.

“If the library is open 24 hours, then they should be as well,” she said.

Patterson said the board wanted to see how sales would go during exams, and he expects that they will increase.

“There will be students who don’t have classes at 8 — but still want to get up to study,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.