Acceptances to Kenan-Flagler Business School stay steady at 50 percent

Admission to the Kenan-Flagler Business School, announced Wednesday, remained steady this year despite a small increase in applicants.

A total of 335 business majors and 37 minors were accepted to the school’s undergraduate business program this academic year, said Anna Millar, senior associate director of admissions, recruiting and advising.

The admittance rate was about 50 percent for both the major and the minor.

Millar said 734 students applied to the business school this year, representing a 6 percent increase in applications from last year.

“People in general recognize the versatility of a business degree, and that fundamental business skills will help you in other areas,” she said.

Allison Adams, director of global media at the school, said the business major has remained popular over time.

One area where the school did see a significant increase in the number of admitted students is through the minor program, Millar said.

There were 37 students admitted to the program, representing a 23 percent increase from last year, she said.

Sophomore David Fox is an exercise and sport science and sports administration major who found out he was admitted to the minor program Wednesday.

He said a minor in business is a good way to compliment a major with some of the core business school classes, such as finances and administration.

“It will definitely help put me one step ahead of my competition looking for a job,” he said. “Seeing Kenan-Flagler on a resume is awesome because it is such a good business program.”

Millar said the slow economy has most affected students looking for careers after acceptance into the school.

But the school continues to have impressive job placement numbers with 90 percent of graduates receiving jobs following graduation, she said.

“We continue to offer career support in the same fashion as previous years,” Millar said.

The school has not dramatically shifted its business model based on the state of the economy, she said.

“Every time I read these applications, I am humbled and amazed by what Carolina students are doing inside and outside the classroom,” Millar said.

“We have a truly amazing group of students this semester.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.