March for Freedom celebrates Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

The rally, followed by a march, held in front of the Chapel Hill post office in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Nearly 50 years after Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his iconic “I Have A Dream” speech, Chapel Hill-Carrboro NAACP leaders are still working to keep that dream alive.

More than 100 people gathered on Monday to celebrate the work of King in an annual rally and march on Franklin Street.

“This is a rally to get us excited about taking the next step to continue to make sure that Dr. King’s vision is realized,” said Terrence Foushee, a student at North Carolina Central University. Foushee works with the Chapel Hill-Carrboro NAACP, which organized the event.

Participants met at Peace and Justice Plaza in front of the Franklin Street courthouse for the rally. Attendees then marched to the First Baptist Church at 106 N. Roberson St., chanting, “Forward together, not one step back.”

Eugene Farrar, program chairman and former Chapel Hill-Carrboro NAACP president, said the goal of the event was to connect youth to opportunities for activism with this year’s theme — “Today’s Youth, Tomorrow’s Leaders.”

“We want to let them know Dr. King had a dream and ask them what they dream,” Farrar said.

“Sometimes as we lead, we need to move out of the way and let our kids step up. We are paving the way right now for these youth right here.”

Hillsborough resident Amy Irish went to the rally with her four children, eager to teach them why they have a day off from school.

“I wanted to come out with the kids because it’s an important day — civil rights is a big issue today,” Irish said. “It’s a good opportunity to show them how they should be.”

Daijsha Farrington, an 11-year-old student at Rogers-Herr Middle School in Durham, has attended the event for several years and was excited to step up and give the welcome address Monday.

“I hope to be involved in more programs and events like this and hope the world will become a better one,” Farrington said before the rally.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Superintendent Thomas Forcella also spoke about the district’s vision to help all children achieve at higher levels.

“Education is such a key piece of really bringing everyone together,” Forcella said.

“If we provide the right kind of instruction, we will see tremendous gains in what we have seen over several years in closing the achievement gap,” he said.

Chavez Adams, a UNC senior and president of the University’s NAACP chapter, gave the keynote address and urged the community to take personal responsibility for advancing equality in local neighborhoods.

“We are going to have to make this thing called social justice personal,” Adams said. “We as individuals must stop these issues.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.