New charges added in computer crime investigation

In an ongoing investigation, a former UNC employee was arrested Dec. 19 in Chatham County and charged with two counts of second-degree sexual exploitation of a minor.

Charles Hitlin was first arrested on Nov. 8 after a search warrant for suspicious computer activity led to the discovery of a 9 mm loaded pistol in his campus office in Rosenau Hall.

Hitlin is a former manager in the information technology department at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.

His recent bail was set at $65,000. He had previously posted bond of $10,000 for the initial firearm possession charge.

A search warrant from November stated that an individual or individuals, who gave the impression of being female, used Hitlin’s work computer to have discussions in a chat room involving sexual intercourse with minors as young as 12 years old between Oct. 24 and Nov. 5.

The actions on Hitlin’s computer gave probable cause for the warrant, according to the warrant.

Hitlin’s lawyer, Meredith Nicholson, was not available to comment.

Detective Mike Deaton of the Morrisville Police Department had undercover interactions with an individual or individuals in the chat room using the username “amyinnc.”

The warrant stated that the IP address of Hitlin’s computer was identified in chat rooms used for sharing child pornography.

The search warrant for the initial arrest also detailed a multi-departmental investigation of computer crimes.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Randy Young said Hitlin made his first appearance in court Jan. 3 for the sexual exploitation charges.

Hitlin also will make a court appearance on Friday for the gun possession charge. He has another appearance relating to the sexual exploitation charge scheduled for Feb. 8.

Amy Hitlin, Charles Hitlin’s wife and a senior assistant director of University Career Services for the School of Public Health, has not been charged with any crime.

But Young said the investigation is ongoing.

“It’s not to say more charges will be filed,” he said, while adding that more charges are still a possibility.

Young said that there was little new information to report on the investigation that had not already been revealed when the search warrant for Hitlin’s office was released in November.

David Pesci, director of communications for the School of Public Health, declined to comment on personnel or the investigation. He said in a November interview that Hitlin’s duties were being carried out by other employees.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.