Pi Lambda Phi faces probation after alcohol violations

Although UNC’s chapter of the Pi Lambda Phi fraternity is working to satisfy sanctions from a November alcohol incident, the punishments are not expected to affect the fraternity’s spring recruitment process, which starts today.

In November, the Interfraternity Council held a hearing for Pi Lambda Phi, which was sanctioned for four alcohol policy violations made known after an underage person, who was served an alcoholic beverage at a Pi Lambda Phi event, was hospitalized.

Pi Lambda Phi’s president, Austin Hurwitz, could not be reached for comment.

Aaron Bachenheimer, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, said the office was notified about the violations through an anonymous complaint.

According to the hearing outcome report Hearing Outcome Report_Pi Lambda Phi_Fall 2012-1.doc, the nature of these violations include having common source containers in the house, buying alcoholic beverages on the behalf of the chapter, giving alcoholic beverages to others, and failing to provide a guest list because alcoholic beverages were present.

“There were four IFC violations, and they were found responsible for all four,” Lindsey said. “So that played into the jury’s decision for sure.”

The sanctions include two weeks of social probation, which is in effect now, and two weeks of deferred probation later this month.

IFC

“All IFC events are alcohol-free,” Bachenheimer said. “In fact, it is a national IFC regulation that no IFC recruitment event can have alcohol.”

Bachenheimer and Lindsey said the sanctions will not affect spring recruitment.

“These sanctions don’t affect what Pi Lam can or can’t do because everyone is bound by dry-rush policies,” Lindsey said.

The fraternity must also have a 75 percent attendance rate at an alcohol education program, which has been organized by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Bachenheimer said that in an effort to prevent IFC policy violations, education on hazing and alcohol risk management will be provided to all Greek organizations.

He added that everyone plays a role in preventing hazing, alcohol violations and other infractions.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.