Carrboro Century Center prioritizes accessibility

Matthew Prusik, program attendee at Ears, Eyes, Nose and Paws in Carrboro, poses with a training dog.

On March 2, Matthew Prusik will receive a new service dog, giving the 28 year old with muscular dystrophy more independence.

But a lack of accessibility in the Carrboro Century Center — where the ceremony is being held — almost kept him from participating.

Prusik, an Apex resident, uses a wheelchair in his daily life. He is receiving the dog from Eyes Ears Nose and Paws — a Carrboro nonprofit that trains and places dogs with people with disabilities.

Prusik began training with a service dog this week in preparation for the ceremony.

But because the stage in the Century Center is not accessible via wheelchair, Prusik thought he might not be able to sit on stage during the graduation.

On Tuesday, Carrboro Town Manager David Andrews confirmed in an email to town officials that they would be able to accommodate Prusik in the ceremony.

According to the email, the town will rent a lift to allow Prusik to sit on the stage.

Prusik’s previous service dog, Justice, died from cancer four years ago.

“He was everything to me,” Prusik said. “Even when I’m lonely, I have the dog for company.”

His new service dog will be trained to help with tasks that can be difficult because of Prusik’s limited mobility, like picking up objects, turning on lights and opening doors.

It costs $20,000 to raise and train each service dog, and Prusik will be responsible for paying $6,000 of that.

He has been selling cookie ingredients and collecting donations on his website to raise money. As of Sunday, Prusik had raised $1,655.

Though only two people are graduating, the ceremonies have drawn large crowds in the past.

Maria Ikenberry, executive director of the nonprofit, said about 200 people attended the last graduation in June.

She said her favorite part of the graduation is seeing the support for participants and the organization’s staff.

“I know there are a lot of people who come to the graduations and tell me there’s not a dry eye in the house,” she said. “I think they enjoy seeing this emotional side of the connections happening with the dogs.”

Anita Jones-McNair, Carrboro recreation and parks director, said the town is looking for a long-term solution to the lack of accessibility, like a permanent ramp to the stage.

“It would be a lot better for the future, for other people who are going to get service dogs and other activities there,” Prusik said.

And Carrboro Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said making the Century Center accessible is a priority.

“We pride ourselves on being a community where everybody is supported and everybody is included,” she said. “You don’t just do that and it’s done. You constantly make sure that is happening.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.