Face-off edge boosts second half UNC men's lacrosse rally

R.G. Keenan sparked the Tar Heels second half run with dominance on the face-off X. He won eight of 12 second half face-offs.

Battles at the face-off X have the potential to swing momentum in any lacrosse game, and in the No. 12 North Carolina men’s lacrosse match against No. 15 Fairfield Saturday, that momentum proved to be the determining factor in a 10-9 win for the Tar Heels.

The Stags (2-1) held a 6-3 lead going into the third quarter, and the Tar Heels needed a burst of energy, and they needed it quickly.

“We really called out the whole team,” coach Joe Breschi said about his halftime speech. “The energy level had to elevate.”

Breschi tried to ignite the Tar Heel defense by inserting a new goalkeeper, redshirt sophomore Andrew O’Connell, after halftime.

“We needed something to spark the energy,” Breschi said. “He’s got a great voice, and the defense really played well in front of him.”

But five minutes in to the third quarter, all UNC had to show for its change in the cage was a slightly larger 7-3 deficit.

From that point on, UNC (2-1) used a dominant performance at the face-off to string together two three-goal runs in the second half, catapulting the team to its first win against a ranked opponent this season.

Led by junior face-off specialist R.G. Keenan, UNC went eight for 12 at the face-off X in the second half.

“When you’re able to win face-offs it’s easier to build momentum,” senior attackman Marcus Holman said. “(Keenan) allows us to play offense longer and give our defense a rest.”

But many of Keenan’s face-off wins did more than just give UNC possession late in the game.
They gave UNC the opportunity for fast breaks.

In response to the Stags’ goal that opened third quarter scoring, UNC scored three goals in 30 seconds, forcing Fairfield to use a time out.

Fairfield’s once comfortable four-goal game was transformed into a tightly contested one-goal game.

“I knew I could play my game and get on the whistle,” Keenan said. “It’s always nice to win it forward and get it to our attack.”

Keenan said he considers himself a role player, adding that he trusts his attackmen to do their thing.

“I’ve said this since I’ve been here,” Keenan said. “If I get it to the attack and do my job, then we’re going to score.”

Holman, who had five goals on the day including a hat trick in the second half, said Keenan was the major factor in UNC’s win.

Holman was quick to compliment the junior on the Tewaaraton watch list

“He’s a stud,” Holman said. “He was the difference-maker today.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.