Lindsey, Lambden face off today

Students campaigning for  Will Lindsey and Christy Lambden in the pit . Jimmy Decker, right, who was Lambden's roommate for two years, is excited to support his friend in his campaign.
Students campaigning for Will Lindsey and Christy Lambden in the pit . Jimmy Decker, right, who was Lambden's roommate for two years, is excited to support his friend in his campaign.

The last two standing in the student body president race will face off today, and students should know by tonight who their next student body president is.

Since none of the five candidates won a majority of the votes last week, Will Lindsey and Christy Lambden, who garnered the two highest percentages, are competing in a runoff election.

Lindsey collected 37 percent of the votes, and Lambden collected 22 percent.

Lindsey said he is wrapping up his campaign by maintaining a strong on-campus presence, meeting as many students as possible, creating new signs and A-frames, and being vocal on social media.

Lambden said his final campaign techniques include spending a lot of time in the Pit in order to meet as many people as possible.

“We’re trying to show what the values behind the campaign are, and what we perceive the best possible Carolina to be — it’s kind of an explanation of why I’m running,” Lambden said.

Michael Hardison, Lambden’s campaign manager, said campaigning has been exhausting but rewarding.

“You really never stop working,” he said.

“It’s one of those things where I’ve woken up at 4 or 5 in the morning to deal with some things I’ve gotten texts about, or anything like that.”

Lindsey also said he is looking forward to the election.

“I’m definitely excited going in,” Lindsey said. “I was very pleased with our performance in the first round, and hopefully we can get out there and get the vote again and be elected student body president.”

Freshman Sydney Oakley said she will be voting for Lindsey Tuesday.

“Well honestly, we’ve kind of been persuaded to in the Greek life,” Oakley said, who is a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority.

“But I’m kind of familiar with his platform, and I support some of the things that he’s interested in promoting here on campus.”

Though many Greek organizations on campus have shown support for Lindsey, Lambden said former candidates Rob Jones and Kevin Claybren have endorsed him, and he hopes that their supporters will vote for him.

Former candidate Hetali Lodaya said she is focusing her efforts on encouraging people to vote, rather than endorsing a specific candidate.

Claybren wasn’t able to be reached.

Jones said he thinks the outcome of the election will depend on the number of voters.

Voter turnout increased this year with 5,691 students voting — up from last year’s record low of 4,507.

“I think if we see a decrease in the numbers, Will will have an advantage,” Jones said.

“But I think if we see close to the same or more then it’ll be a toss up.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.